1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

All nails (Toe and finger) fell off toddler

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello all,

I just stumbled on this forum and thought I'd give it a shot. We've done lots of research but haven't found any logical answer to why this is happenening to our daughter. If this question has already been answered in this forum or somewhere else, can you please reply with a link to the post or other information?? Thanks!

Here is a brief description of what happened: This summer our 2 year old had some kind of a virus; stuff that actually looked like the Kawasaki disease....low grade fever, swollen glands, chapped lips, body rash [not a red rash but like goose bumps all over her body....right after the symptoms (of something...whether it was Kawasaki or just a weird virus) appeared, the fingernails on her right and left forefingers started to peel away and then eventually fell off.

We thought maybe it was that she bumped her finger or smashed it at day care or something but then the rest of her nails...EVERY NAIL on her body ALL TOENAILS and ALL FINGERNAILS fell off over the course of the next couple of weeks (also there was no discoloration or bruising and now healthy nails have grown back in their place)

We asked our pediatrician and he said he'd never seen this happen before, so he had some blood work done and also consulted with his associate(s) and no one seemed too concerned. So neither were we.

My mother is a school nurse and has been working with kids for 30+ years and is still a bit concerned so I wanted to do a bit more reasearch.

Has anyone heard of this before?
    Would this be something that I should have her looked at by a dermatologist or by a podiatrist?

Thanks!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    The nails of both the fingers and the feet are sometimes known to reflect certain medical conditions. I do not recall treating a patient with Kawasaki's Disease, but that disease has some typical skin manifestations associated with it, and toe and finger nails are an extension of skin tissue. Nail disorders as a result of medical conditions require that the underlying medical condition be treated. As such nail conditions as you described affected both the toes and the fingers of your daughter, a dermatologist would likely be a better option than a podiatrist, as dermatologists are both medical doctors and they are licensed to treat all areas of the skin, not just on the feet.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Question: On my big toe when the nail grows it normally starts to split on the side and has to start all over. My toe next to my big toe has a dark round spot that looks like a corn on top of it. What can i do I hate my feet people always call them ugly

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    There are many potential causes of nail disorders and deformities, none of which you are likely to be able to treat without the help of a doctor. Also, it is essential that any growths or pigmented areas of or on toenails be professionally examined. See a podiatrist of a dermatologist.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks so much for the reply...that basically confirms for me that we should at least take her to a dermaltologist.

Hopefully I can post back later this week to this thread and let you know what we find out.

Thanks again!!

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Update:
    We took our daughter to a dermatologist; she basically confirmed what the pediatrician had said...that is was a virus that my daughter had had during the summer.

What the dermie added though was that possibly a rash that came along with the virus could've gotten under her nails and into the nailbeds and caused the nails to fall off....

The nails falling off still seems weird, but unless some other symptom appears we're not concerning ourselves anymore with it.

TO FOOTDOC - I'm not sure who you are but thanks again for your response!!

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

You're welcome.

8. fronzis

fronzis Guest

I'm having a similar issue with my five year old. Five fingernails and no toenail involvement. It started as a "crack" in the base at the cutical with a small white spot around it. Within 24 hours I realized that four other fingers had the same white area and looked like they were detaching at the base. It's been two weeks now, and four of the five have come off, the fifth is half off. The doctor indicated that this can be caused by the strep virus, and hand-foot-and-mouth. We found that my son is a CARRIER for strep quite by accident about five months ago but she thinks this is too far back to have caused this to happen now. Incidently, my son also had Kawasaki when he was eleven months old. Very very scary. Just last night, while cutting my seven year olds fingernails, I noticed that three of HIS fingernails are starting to loosen at the base, and two of his toenails. Both have healthy new nail growing underneath, no pain, and otherwise very healthy. The only thing the two of them have had in common illness-wise, was a brief (24 hour) low grade fever in mid August. I think I will have to mention that at my older sons doctors appointment tomorrow, see if she thinks there is a connection. I have been all over the internet and there seems to be quite a few young children that this is happening to. There are also as many different answers as there as questions. Best of Luck !

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hi

my son had all the symptons of kawaski 2 years ago and was very ill for about 2 and a half months. was told it wasa skin virus. now all his finger and toenails are cracking off and he is very pale. he's having blood tests this week

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam New Member

hi

my son had all the symptons of kawaski 2 years ago and was very ill for about 2 and a half months. was told it was a skin virus. now all his finger and toenails are cracking off and he is very pale. he's having blood tests this week

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just noticed that some of my son's fingernails and toe nails are starting to fall off. His pinky finger i half missing from the cutical towards teh middle of his nail and a new nail has grown underneath. As I looked at the rest of his hands, I noticed that 5 other digits (a mix of fingers and toes) have nails that are starting to separate at the cuticle not the top. I can not attribute this to any injury as this is happening on both hands and feet.

I was wondering if you ever got an answer to your child's problem as it sounds similar to my child. My son is 6 years old.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,

I think my kids and hand foot and mouth disease in September. They ran fevers and had blisters on their hands and feet. A couple of weeks ago their feet were peeling. Now their nails are peeling. Several of my two year old's nails are coming off. It really scared me and I googled it. It looks like it could defintely be from the hand foot and mouth disease! I'll get it checked by the dr tomorrow.

13. In Canada

In Canada Guest

Our son (two years old) had the hand foot mouth virus back at the end of August 2008 and really has not been 100% ever since. The symptoms of the hand foot mouth disappeared in about a week but he's been congested off and on ever since...more "on" than "off". PLUS he's now lost 5 nails (on hands and feet). We too thought he banged his nail at first but was puzzled at the lack of "black nail" when you DO bang your nail. So after the 2nd-5th nail, and his congestion, we took him to see the doctor. She has ordered blood work as well. She put him on a steriod nasal spray for the congestion/coughing and ordered the blood work to test for an iron deficiency. We just took him to the doctor, so we'll be taking him for the blood work on Monday and await the results.
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned an iron deficiency. Once our son started losing his 3rd nail, we worried about some sort of deficiancy. We never thought that it could be connected to hand foot mouth until a friend forwarded this forum to me.

14. In Canada

In Canada Guest

Sorry, I just noticed that this discussion has probably fallen off topic and should not be on this "Foot Pain & Foot Health" forum. Anyone, off hand, know a general medical health forum similar to this?

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 4yr old son's L big toe just recently started turning blackish on the edge of it, as if he had dirt under the side of the nail all the way up to the cuticle. I cleaned as much as I could without hurting him and thought it was weird because he always wears socks and shoes and I keep his feet very clean. His toes are always kept well manicured by me. No other toes appear this way, only that one. Anyway, this has been going on for about 2 weeks now and I've been cleaning and watching it; I keep thinking his toe nail is going to grow out and the blackness will go away. Now, I just noticed that the blackness is moving and spreading from the side of the toe nail to the center and appears to be a bruise, but when you press it, it does not hurt nor change color so it can't be a bruise. He says it does not hurt.
    I researched today online and found these blogs about it being linked to Hand Foot and Mouth Disease, which he had a few months ago. I am at a loss for what is happening and I will be calling the pediatrician on Monday. Until then can someone give me some anwers??? Is it due to Hand-Foot-Mouth Disease? What will happen to his toe?

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm not a doctor, but my first thought "could it be a wart"?

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

to the mom with the little girl whos nails are coming off:
    I watched on MYSTERY DIAGNOSES about a lady who's daughter had done the same thing. her and her daughter had washed thier carpet in their new place and soon after that the little girl started loosing nail/and had rash . testing for months and finding nothing, they were left helpless watching there daughter die. finally a doctor tested for mercury poisning wich came back positive. they found that there house was infested with a large amount of mercury,and washing her rug released the fumes. have your daughter tested for mercury and other metal toxins..............

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The exact same thing is happening to my two year old daughter. She was covered in fine bumps from head to toe, fever, and the swollen glands. She was even given blood work in which abnormalities were found. Now, her finger nails and toe nails are falling off. The haven't completely fallen off, but they are peeling and spliting.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just read your page, and it's weard cause the exact same thing has happend to my two year old boy. I noteced both of his middle finger nail starting to come of from the bottom up. It dos'nt seem to bother him, but he had strep throat about a month ago, and he always gets ear infections, so Im not sure if any of this is connected. Please if you have heard anything more about your little guy, can you let me know? I am so worried now!!

Thank you
    Jenn

20. idahogrose

idahogrose Guest

Jenn--
    I have a 4 year old son who's nails are falling off from the bottom up also. 7 weeks ago I took him in the doctor with what I thought was strep. He was tested with a negative result. The Dr. gave him antibiotics for strep anyway. Now that his nails are falling off, I think he was misdiagnosed, and it was really Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. Fingernails peeling like this is a common symptom of HFMD. (usually after all other symptoms have subsided for quite some time). He did not have a rash, but one does not have to have all of the symptoms for it to be HFMD. I've read that HFMD can often be misdiagnosed as strep and ear infections. Hope this helps.