1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Post surgery 5th metatarsal pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by crystal_000, Jan 5, 2012.

1. crystal_000

crystal_000 Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I broke my 5th metatarsal on christmas and had surgery earlier today. It was a large fracture that was in the middle of the bone. It was displaced and would not heal properly without surgery. I had 5 screws and a plate inserted into center of my 5th metatarsal. I am 7mo pregnant so things are going a little different for me then they normally would be for someone who isn't pregnant. I was awake for the whole thing :( but I had a spinal anesthesia (same thing they give during a c-section) and everything went well. My foot is in a wrap and have an air boot up to my knee. I was only given 350 mg of Hydrocodone Acetemophin and I am in a world of pain right now and can't sleep. It kills me to even slightly move my foot. I was unsure if I could take off my boot to sleep, but I'm in so much pain I don't think I could take it off if I wanted to. Does anyone know if there are any other meds I can take or a greater amount of what I am already taking although I am pregnant? I want what is best for the baby but I also know that it is bad for me to be in a lot of pain while pregnant. Any advice or past experience will help me out. Also how long should it take to heal?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Crystal_000, please call your ob-gyn or your surgeon to see what they suggest or can prescribe for you in your unique case.

I broke my 5th metatarsal on Christmas morning, but my podiatrist is taking a "wait and see if you can heal on your own" approach. I'm not even in a cast or boot. Since treatment options seem to vary widely based on each individual case, please let (MAKE) your own doctors help you.

Keep calling them (or their answering services, which may contact them for you if it's off hours) until you get some answers! I wish you well!
    jette

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012