1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th metatarsal fx

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by 38happy, Dec 12, 2012.

1. 38happy

38happy New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I fractured the base of my 5th metatartarsal June 2012. First saw my primary doc, x-ray done and showed no fx> symptoms got worse and had so much trouble walking. Saw a podiatrist late July, MRI done. positive transverse fx at base of 5th metatarsal. In a short boot from July 31-sept 4. did not help, still putting pressure on 5th metatarsal. I am a nurse and am on my feet all day. Sept 4 put in a longer boot. told to wean around Sept 25. Weaned.. still having pain, can not run or go on elliptical without pain and swelling. Dec. 11 still having pain, saw podiatrist. put back in long boot. repeat MRI for Dec 17 to see if there is delayed healing, Then possibly some sort of electrical stimulation i guess to increase blood flow to the area. I just cant believe this injury has lasted so long. it was never recommended to non weight bear at any time and i'm wondering if I should have been off the foot initially instead of walking on it at work. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. BikeGuy

BikeGuy New Member

Sorry to hear your symptoms have not resolved after all this time. After breaking my 5th Met (large avulsion extending into the joint) , the doc at the ER told me for best results fro my particular injury , non weight bearing for at least the first 2 weeks. I had 1 week off work with my feet up , then crutches for 1 more week. I kept the boot on for 6 weeks total . It makes it difficult I suppose if the x-ray didn't initially show your fracture ?

3. 38happy

38happy New Member

Well I still have a fracture at the base of my 5th metatarsal. repeat MRI in Dec. 2012 confirmed an increase in the fracture. I had been in an aircast since July 2012, weaned in oct. 2012, but never felt better. Saw Podiatrist in early Dec. 2012, MRI, continued fracture. Back in boot and bone stimulator to the area 1-2x per day for 20minutes unit March 19 2013 when I see the podiatrist again. Rep that provided bone stimulator said had an 86 percent heal rate. I have been using the stimulator for just over a month and foot still has pain and can not put weight on the area without pain. Still wearing boot at all times except shower and bed. What gives? I am not a smoker, which I read can delay healing. I am a nurse and am on my feed all day at work in the boot with no restrictions per podiatry.

4. 38happy

38happy New Member

Used bone stimulator twice per day x 3 mos. Did not heal the fracture. Had surgery may 2013. Screw placed with bone graft from hip. in cast, non weightbearing x 6 weeks. Will have xray July 8. Then hopefully cast off. Will update after July 8.