1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th metatarsal fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by repsmom, Jul 3, 2013.

1. repsmom

repsmom New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I fractured my 5th metatarsal 7 1/2 weeks ago. (No surgery needed) I am in a Cam Walker with crutches and NWB. I was told 2 days ago the fracture is 70% healed and I can start to bear weight as tolerated wearing the boot, and wean off the crutches. I am petrified to do this. I have "pins and needles" whenever I apply pressure to the foot and feel extremely off balance due to the boot. Has anyone made this transition and if so, how? I don't have much pain at all from the fracture, but the sole of my foot under the toes is very sore. Any info anyone can offer would be very helpful. Thanks!
    This is not a Jone's fracture. The Dr stated it was a basic fracture, no displacement.

2. Dr Abdul Qadir

Dr Abdul Qadir New Member

With that much healing, you should now start to walk. First start off with partial weight bearing on one crutch by using the crutch on the opposite side of the fracture. These pins and needles sensations, soreness at different parts of the foot is a normal phenomenon when you start to walk after a long time of NWB.
    The sole and arches would be sore for some time, but with gradual walking and physiotherapy, these would slowly revert back to normal. Complete normal walking can take upto 6 months