1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th metatarsal break questions

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My son, age 20, broke his 5th metatarsal 8 weeks ago playing basketball. It is not a jones fracture but further down at the base. It was a displaced fracture. At 3 weeks he showed no signs of healing, but at his recent doctor visit there was healing on the x-ray. The doctor said that the bone had shifted slightly but that it shouldn't be a problem. He has been wearing a walking boot since the fracture and using crutches. Hasn't put any weight on the foot yet.

My son is still in some pain but it is bearable and he is not taking any medication and hasn't since the first 2 weeks after the break.

At this 8 week checkup the doctor is of the opinion that he should remove the walking boot and use a sneaker and begin to walk on the foot. My son does not feel this is possible with the pain he is in and wants to keep using the walking boot and gradually start putting weight on the foot. The doctor also wants my son to do some ankle circles to help with atrophy of the muscles, but this too, is very painful for my son.

What do you think he should be doing at this point? Should he listen to the doctor despite the pain or should he be more cautious? Is there a chance he could re-injure the area since it is not fully healed yet? Would like to hear your opinion. Thank you.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

All of your questions would seem to assume that I, or someone else on the Internet, has as much or more knowledge of the specifics of your son's status than does his own doctor. Surely, you would not wish to replace his/her evaluation with mine or others who neither have responsibility for the case nor enough information to formulate an opinion on which you might rely. Even more than most issues with which any doctor might deal, treatment of injuries is not "cook book," and each must be judged and handled on its own merits. I would recommend if you have lack of confidence in the doctor whom you have chosen, that you obtain a second opinion by hands-on evaluation. Little good will likely come from entertaining the advice of even a top doctor who is not privy to the particulars and nuances of an individual case. I do both you and your son a service by not interjecting thoughts for which I do not and can not have insufficient basis.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009