1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

middle-outside foot pain when weight bearing

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    On October 10th (today is the 15th), I walked on paved streets for about 3 miles. I did not know that i was going to be walking so much so I did not wear my more supportive shoes, but wore regular sneakers. I have really flat feet and my muscle at the arch of my foot stretched and hurt whenever I would bend my foot to walk. So, for probably the majority of my walk, I walked more on the outside of my foot. By the end of the day, my feet were sore, but nothing unusual for being on your feet all day. The next day, however, when I walked, my outer feet started to hurt, and after a few minutes, the pain on the outside of my feet was excruciating. I could not bear any weight on the outside and the only way i could walk was by hobbling and trying to walk on my toes, but mostly on my big toe. Now, it hurts a little when i point my 5th (pinky toe) toe and 4th toe up and down. The bone that sticks out on the outside-middle of my foot hurts the most and also the fleshy part between that outside bone and my heel are also very tender. When I would weight bear the sharp pain would originate on the outside bone that I mentioned and the pain would travel to the outside of my ankle.

I've rested it for about three days and applied ice to it throughout the day. I also am taking over-the-counter pain relieving and anti-inflammatory medicine. It has helped a little in that I can stand on my feet for about an hour before the pain returns and I have to get off my feet again. I am sorry for such a poor description, but I have not been able to see a doctor as I do not have the medical coverage or the financial capability to do so. I also realize that I am probably going to have to see a doctor anyway. I'm crossing my fingers that it will get better soon, but, in the meantime, I would appreciate any ideas or advice that anyone could provide.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

As you conceed that you are probably going to have to see a doctor anyway, why not see one sooner instead of later when your problem may be more difficult to effectively treat and you will already have paid an even greater price by being in pain and disabled. I have to wonder though what not having the financial capability to see a doctor means. Does that mean that you would simply rather do more fun things with whatever your finances will support or do you go without other basic necessities of living such as food and shelter and an Internet connection and cable TV?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Pretty tacky thing to say, Doc. Maybe the choice is between FOOD and a $100 visit to a doctor who will tell you to take NSAIDS and use ICE, and come back in 2 weeks. Or worse, require MRIs, x-rays, and more just to tell you that they can't find anything and ..... take NSAIDS and use ICE.

If you are going to offer this forum for help, then do so. Don't judge your members for their financial decisions.

tkeep123@aol.com

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

well said. could be a stress fracture. if you CAN somehow afford it, and it doesn't get better, you should consider a doctor. i know how frustrating it is, though, when you spend all that money just to get an expensive dose of common sense.

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

If a patient pays a doctor and the doctor's diagnosis is thought of by the patient as mere common sense, then would not the patient have been lacking in that common sense for having spent money to be told what he should have know IF he indeed HAD common sense?

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have this same foot issue, so after about a week of pain, I made an appointment and went to see my family doctor who did an xray, squeezed around on my foot and said hmmm, could be a stress fracture. You should take ibuprofen (which I was already doing) and wear this flat bottom shoe (which was too big and flopped on my foot and made my pain worse because I was trying to walk and keep that shoe on). I do have health insurance and only had to sit there two and a half hours and pay my $30 copay for this useless "treatment". So I called after a couple days to talk to the nurse and let her know my shoe was too big to see if we could try another kind, but she said that was the smallest one they had and I should make another appointment. Ugh!!! So that whole "Go to the dr advice" really worked out for me. I still have a terribly sore foot, a big ugly useless flat bottom shoe, and a huge bottle of ibuprofen.

7. jwess917

jwess917 Guest

Have the exact same thing going here. Didn't walk miles, but more than usual yesterday. Do you regularly exercise? Not judging, just need you to be honest. For my part, I do not exercise. However, I walked a lot yesterday. I tend to walk on the outside of my gait already and from what I read on the net, the first thing I am doing tomorrow is getting a new pair of shoes. Sometimes we don't realize how old they are or broken down. They become old friends. But, inexpensive sneakers don't last long like your dad's dress shoes did. I have full insurance with small copays, and I will still buy a $25 pair of shoes and see if that helps first. Something to think about is heat instead of cold. If it is the tendon, what I read says tendons have poor blood flow, especially in the feel. And heat (warm not hot) therapy may speed the healing. If more people just asked advice and remembered that they are their first doctor health care costs may be lower. Common sense and willingness to get advice is worthe a fortune. I have found slipers provide 99% relief from pain around the house. Common sense tells me no pain, good chance of healing. Give it a few weeks of common sense and see how you do. Always remember, if there is a threat to life limb or eyesight, sek medical attention immediately. Til then, take care of your colds, allergies, aches and pain. Good luck.

8. Katie

Katie Guest

I was walking going to my bus a couple of days ago and out of no where the middle of my right foot started hurting really bad.The pain only is there when I walk or touch/message it . I have NO idea in this whole world what I did made my foot hurt so badly.All I did was walk to my bus. I didn't hit it or anything to make it become badly in pain, so bad I couldn't handle it sometimes.It's been with me for almost 4 days now. I've tried almost everything even a HOT shower and massaging it. When this had happened I was wearing a sorta kind of heel boot but my mom and dad said that wouldn't have anything to mess with it. So please someone help me. I appreciate it so much. ttyl && Lot's of Love.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

No jackass because the doctor went through 8 years of training in that specific area (foot).

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow, FootDoc....just wow. Enjoy your miserable life.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

this Foot Doc seems a bit arrogant...I've avoided posting my problems on here so as not to be criticised by him...

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem and after reading foot doc's comments have lost all previous respect I held for podiatrists.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

FootDoc, you're an ass. You're comments on most of these forums hurt the reputation of Doctors, and reinforces their stereotype of being arrogant, rich snobs. You shame the medical field with your character, jackass.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This doc is a real jackass! Crawl back in your hole you troll

15. dave

dave Guest

I have walking pain in left foot since one week. Somewhat better now but still sore.could o ly walk on heel for two days but now takesx weight although still sore when walking. Soreness seems to be located at top of foot area near heel. No attributable cause.
    . Foot doc are you still there after last comments?

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was very lucky to have an excellent podiatrist. I'd had surgery on my achilles tendon when I was 12, but they messed it ip resulting in a 1,5" bone spur and major achilles pain. It's been almost 10 years since the second surgery and never felt better. I was told after both surgeries that I may have difficulty walking/running/exercising. And the second surgery that was true (after all, they sliced my achilles in half for a second time). I can't run...but can hobble quickly and I walk at least 3 miles a day. Don't believe for a second that all podiatrists are evil because of this one ass. Interview them before you go for treatment. Kind of like a job interview. The good ones will welcome it. The bad ones not so much!

17. Jcannioto

Jcannioto New Member

I have yet to find a response from Foot Doc that demonstrates that he has any credentials. He is clearly able to condescend, but that does not require medical training. My common sense tells me that this is not a doc I would trust. I came to this forum for further information about the pain that I am currently suffering. I will not gather information here despite the stated purpose for the forum. Don't waste your time here. There must be some financial reason that this arrogant human is on this forum, or he thinks he is Dr House on a bad day, or perhaps he is merely a charlatan enjoying the acting experience. In any event, look elsewhere.

18. RMB

RMB New Member

Hey there everyone. As I read this thread a thought comes to mind. Just because the Foot Doc is blunt sometimes without compassion does not mean we should be breaking the rules of the forum. We can disagree without name calling. Just because we see someone as disrespectful doesn't mean we should stoop to their level. Just saying.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Animals lick their wounds. I have have good results by applying saliva to various wounds.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

That's dumb