1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain at base of big toe...

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Uncomfortable, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This started a couple weeks ago and has been happening off and on.

I've been getting shooting pains at the base of my big toe on my left foot and sometimes the pain feels like it's reaching the big toe itself sometimes.

The pain seems to only come around after I go to bed and has only lasted a couple minutes until last night. The pain hurt for about an hour, it started off as a sharp pain and then became a dull throbbing pain then faded away, but then came back a few hours later, this is the first time it's lasted longer than a few minutes and also the first time it's come back in the same night.

It never happens while standing up or while walking around etc. It only seems to trigger after I've been laying down for a few hours.

I'm starting to see similar symptoms on my right foot as well and again in the big toe area.

I suspect it -may- be gout but obviously I won't know until I see doctor, unfortunately I have to wait another 1-2 months before I'm able to get health insurance and I'm debating if this is something I should just go ahead and get treated at "Urgent" Care or something I can hold off until I'm insured.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It does sound quite a bit like gout, obviously you still want to get it checked out by a doctor.

Gout can be treated by a general physician [mine family doctor treated mine].

Gout isn't really life threatening or anything, but it is a quality of life issue and you will want to get it checked out sooner than later.

When I called my doctor he wasn't able to fit me in for an appointment for about a month [due to scheduling conflicts on both of our ends] and he suggest drinking 64oz's of water [or powerade etc.] a day and to also drink cherry juice as it reduces the level of uric acid level in your blood system and should relieve/prevent pain.

The cherry juice comes in concentrate, so your best bet is to mix into something or just take a shot of it. 1-3 tablespoons a day is all you should need [it varies from person to person].

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Come ON . . Acute gout presents with swelling, inflammation and local heat. The only aspect which the poster stated that has any association with gout is pain. Unfortunately, too many folks think first of gout whenever the big toe is affected, although gout can present in ANY joint. The problem with lay diagnosis is that, as on this occasion, it is almost always accompanied by either lay treatment recommendations or even professional recommendations made for someone else with a likely different condition, which, even if not dangerous, will often be employed by the questioner INSTEAD of a prompt trip to a doctor . . even if that trip is suggested, and both diagnosis and proper treatment will be delayed. The purpose of forums such as this are to help, not hinder and both diagnosis and treatment recommendations should really be left to professionals. Medicine is not a spectator sport, so spare me all the indignation.

By the way, any doctor who cannot fit in or refer out for immediate diagnosis and care a suspected acute gout suffer should find another occupation.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  4. dianeghig

dianeghig Guest

I have a similar problem at the base of my big toe. Horrible shooting
    nerve-ending type pains that almost feel like it is burning and happen at night when I am in bed. It makes my foot twitch because it is so painful. The area only aches a little during the day. Gout usually comes with swelling, redness and inflammation and does not come and go. I do not think it is gout. I am wondering if it is a bunion causing this because I do have a small bunion there for many years which never
    bothered me before. Will take Advil and ice it to see if it gets better otherwise go see an orthopaedic.