1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

extreme foot pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    After looking on the Internet I think I may have a bunion on the side of my big toe which in extremley painful, ecpecially at night. I get to sleep ok and just about every night I wake with pain in the enlarged bone on the side of my toe. I take pain killers but still wake up a couple of hour later. I have trouble funcationing each day as I have had broken sleep, is it time for me to have surgery on this toe?

Thankyou
    Chris

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It would be very unusual for a bunion to cause extreme pain when one is not wearing a shoe, and especially during sleep. I would suggest you consider other causes, such as, among other things, acute gout, infection, peripheral vascular disease or local pressure on a sensory nerve. You give no hint that you have seen a podiatrist or other qualified doctor about this. I suggest you do so.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have been treated by a podiatrist for my flat feet and also seen a surgeon and had a nuclear bone scan and xrays on my feet, they couldn't find anything wrong, (he did say he could shave some of the bone off), he suggested I see a rheumatologist. I spoke with my GP about treatment and he said the rheuatologist will treat me with pills or injections and it would be on going treatment. I am looking for a permanent solution to my problem. It doesn't matter whether I wear shoes or not it still aches.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Based on what you have offered in the way of history, I cannot imagine what necessitated a bone scan, unless perhaps a smoldering bone infection were suspected. But, as I stated in my original response, the sort of symptoms which you have offered are not generally those consistent with a bunion deformity, and from what you report your GP concluded would be offered by a rheumatologist, it would seem that he, too, has his doubts about your diagnostic assumptions. Before you opt for a permanent solution, I would recommend that you obtain a diagnosis consistent with your complaints.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Who would you recommend I see about this problem, I'm not sure who I should be seeing for help, whether it be a podiatrist or another surgeon ?
    All I know is that I need to have this problem fixed A.S.A.P. as it is driving me crazy having broken sleep everynight.

Thankyou
    Chris

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I would recommend that you either consult a podiatrist (you have not mentioned that the podiatrist you consulted for flat feet had evaluated your present complaints) or return to your GP to have him/her consider at least some of the alternate possibilities which I offered in my first response.