1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken 5th Metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by James Castaneda, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    11-Feb (Sat)
    Missed last step of stairs, twisted on left foot and fell over:(
    A&E said the 5th metatarsal is broke, fitted a back slab cast, gave me crutches.

15-Feb (Wed)
    Followup clinic removed cast as A&E said they would and fitted me up with a walking boot.
    OK to bear weight as pain allows.
    Wished I had asked a few more questions but it all wasn't so bad at the time.

20-Feb
    Ankle, left side and top are still very swollen.
    Gets very hot when wearing boot.
    I have been sleeping with foot elevated as instructed but in the morning when I stand up, it burns/stings lots, seemingly as gravity pulls fluid back to my feet?

Questions
    How long on average does the foot remain swollen for in these cases?
    Is the burning/stinging I am getting normal?
    Any hints on making the boot more comfortable as it rubs the swollen ankle up the wrong way.
    How much compression should I apply with the boot. I have had to ease that back the past couple days due to general soreness.
    Can I continue to use Ice packs. They seem to ease the pain better than the Ibuprofen tablets I have been taking when it gets to the stage I feel that I need them.

Many thanks, James

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. CurtC

CurtC New Member

I can only say that the fiberglass cast my orthopod put on was a lot looser than how I was wearing the boot... so if it was _me_ I would loosen the boot when you are not bearing any weight, and only snug it down before moving around.

Ice is your friend! You can and should continue to ice your ankle as long as it gives you relief!

3. Thanks Curt

Do you or anyone else have any thoughts on the pain that I am getting in the mornings and if that is normal.

I am Icing up right before I sleep and then keeping the foot well elevated on a couple of pillows when sleeping.

In the morning when I sit and then stand, It stings to the point that I would describe the pain as intense.

This pain eases off during the next 15-30 minutes and I have been putting it down to gravity/fluids/blood flowing back into the damaged area after it has been rested in an elevated position.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, have experienced similar.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I fractured 5th metatarsal 2 years ago and the pain you were talking about was normal. However, my swelling was minimal after 2 weeks but still a lot of bruising. I was walking within 9 weeks without the boot and everything seemed back to normal. 2 weeks ago, I again fractured the same bone in the same spot and this time no swelling with little bruising. So, the last post was correct in that you need to get the swelling under control and I would suggest using crutches whenever you need to walk long distances or you are at home. The more you stay off of it and let it rest, the faster your rehab will be. While also, continuing to walk on it as tolerable so that you keep your muscles moving in your calf and ankle. Good Luck.