1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

post toenail removal surgerty...

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by chearmeup, Sep 27, 2009.

1. chearmeup

chearmeup Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My son had his big toenail removed due to ingrown nail. During regrowth, the nail is now growing into the skin at the top of the nail. He had the acid applied to the sides to prevent that growth. The top of his toe is large hence the growth of the nail into the skin. I have not been able to find any info on the web about this. Is this common? Would same treatment options apply as to side ingrowths? ie nail splints? We would like to avoid injectable numbing because of the pain. My son does NOT tolerate this well! Any suggestions? And, yes! I plan to go back to the doctor!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    This question represents good examples as to why forums are poor venues for diagnosis and that medical questions require language specific to medicine and as to how what should be a simple question can be written in such a manner so as to create many question about the question itself.

If by "My son had his big toenail removed due to ingrown nail," I take you at your word and understand you to mean that the entire nail plate was removed (not generally appropriate), and if you mean the distal end of the nail by "the top of the nail" and if he never before had the problem you've indicated, then it may be that the chemical used to kill the ingrowing portions improperly affected the central portion of the nail matrix which was intended to be preserved causing it to grow out deformed nail, causing it to ingrown distally. If that is the case, only a hands-on evaluation could determine if a non-surgical procedure would suffice for it is correction. If my assumptions about what you said are incorrect, then . . . NEVER MIND.