1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Flexor Digitorum Brevis injury and high heels?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by somebuddy, Sep 10, 2011.

1. somebuddy

somebuddy Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have worn high heels (2"-4") consistently since I was about 17, partially for aesthetics, and mostly because of the arch support they offer (I have extremely high arches). I'm almost 30 now, and I'm beginning to feel some changes.

Two years ago, I fractured my Cuboid bone when my foot rolled, also tearing my calf muscle and the Peroneus Longus (not to mention copious amounts of tissue damage).

About three months ago, I tore my MCL, which forced me to wear flats again for 6 weeks.

During that time, I quickly found that my calf muscles were being strained -- they were exhausted after only a short walk. Walking barefoot around the house never had this effect, but walking a few blocks made the muscles weak and very tired. I figured it was good for me - my calves were clearly shortening on me, and I needed to combat it soon before it was too late.

A few days ago, a brand new problem appeared. I wore my low heels (2"), which I have worn occasionally over the past few weeks, and I quickly found that my flexor digitorum brevis was hurting me immensely. As soon as I could, I switched to sneakers, which helped, but didn't solve the problem. The pain continues, despite wearing sneakers daily.

Specifically, the pain occurs when I am going from flat to arched and back again. It runs from my second metatarsal straight down through the center of the foot, and then directly lateral from there to the outside of the foot, with slight paint radiating from the center of the foot to each of the minor metatarsals. After I am off my feet, it does continue to ache, however, especially at the center of the foot, just at the base of the traverse head.

The closest I can come to a recent injury on that foot is a slight trip I had last week when I hit a pothole. I stepped in it and started rolling, so I caught myself and rolled back. It didn't hurt at the time at all.

Is this injury the result of a trauma, or repeated stress. If repeated stress, could it be due to high heels, or something else?

How can I treat this injury at home? Are there exercises that can help? Would ibuprofen, ice and rest be enough? (When can I wear my heels again?!)

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm having the exact same problems, and I wear 4+ inch heels everyday.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sorry but if you are wearing 4" heels every day you will have problems sooner or later; feet are not made to be in that position and those shoes should only be worn occasionally.
    As someone with a history of foot problems from a very young age, it never ceases to amaze me what abuse people will put on their feet in the name of fashion!

Best advice is to see a podiatrist and take their advice on looking after your feet.