1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken 5th Metatarsal - walking

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by dancer571, Jul 25, 2010.

1. dancer571

dancer571 Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I broke my 5th metatarsal almost 2 weeks ago while rehearsing for a show coming up. i'm in a fiberglass cast and the doctor gave me crutches. She said eventually i would be able to walk without them but didn't tell me how long. It has been 2 weeks and i'm walking more than i am using the crutches. Is it too soon to be walking again? I'm limping due to muscle loss but there is no pain when i walk. Also, is there anything else i can do to speed up the healing proccess? like elevating it maybe? anything would be helpful, thanks.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Why would you not ask and rely upon the opinion of your own attending doctor regarding when you should begin to walk rather than on the opinion of someone who knows neither you nor your case? Elevation is fine to reduce swelling, but is not otherwise generally a specific aid to healing. Primary in the healing of a fracture is stability and immobilization of the fracture segments, a healthy repairative response and adequate nutrition.

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I might add to that the obvious need to have good reduction if there had been displacement and bone to bone apposition, preferably with some compression.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey Dancer571 i also broke my 5th Metatarsal about a month ago and did the same after about 2 weeks i started walking on it i did not feel any pain so i continued to walk on it more and more. When i went back to the doctor earlier today i was informed i injured it even more i even seen the xray and the break looked alot worse. So now im stuck on crutches for another month or even more. So you deffinitly should not walk on it anymore i no its tempting bc crutches are the worst but even though there is no pain doesnt mean ur not doing more damage. And to speed up the process i was given what is bone stimulater you should ask your doctor about it. icing it and elevating it cant hurt either. hope i helped man