1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th metatarsal fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,

I hope that you can help me. I fractured the 5th metatarsal 3-5 weeks ago but I just found out about the fracture this week when I sought out medical consultation. My doctor gave me a wooden post-op shoe that works very well, but it is the wrong size. No one in town carries this particular shoe and the earliest that I can get one sent to me is the middle of next week. In the meantime, I am having a lot of trouble walking and I can't seem to find any other style/brand of post-op shoe that will work for me since the other designs have closures/straps/materials that come up on the side of my foot that is broken and they put pressure on the painful part of my foot. Is there any other type of device/walking cast/shoe that you can recommend in the meantime that would help me get around? The post-op wooden shoe that I have (which is too short) is simply a canvas wooden shoe with velcro closures, and the velcro fastens without loops, etc. across the top of the foot. Only the canvas is next to the broken bone. I suppose that anything that immobilized the bone would work, as long as it is not tightened/secured across that area. It is the outside of my right foot.

Thank you!
    Issy

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    There are all kinds of devices available, but you seem to require some specific features and not knowing precisely what they might be, I can't suggest a necessarily fitting alternative. Why don't you contact your doctor and see if he/she can have you pick up a suitable one from a colleague? Or he might want to give you crutch-walking instruction and have you get crutches. I would not suggest you use crutches, though, without proper instruction.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you very much for your kind response. I have had a message in to my doctor since yesterday afternoon, and I called with the question again this afternoon since I had not heard from the doctor's office. I"m usually not in a hurry for a response, but I am worried that the weekend is approaching and that the medical supply stores will be closed after 5pm today. My foot really hurts and I can't imagine walking around on it at work tomorrow or the next day without some type of proper-fitting support. There are so many products on the market that I would not know where to start in finding a walking cast or another shoe. I have exhausted the possibilities locally for finding another shoe like the one that I have (I asked the doctor about that three days ago and I even called hospitals and doctor's offices to see if they had the shoe and could sell one to me - I found one at a physician's office, but they would not sell it to me as I was not their patient, not even with a prescription from my own doctor).

Thank you again for your time and consideration. I stumbled across this forum when I was looking at products to immobilize a 5th metatarsal fracture, and it must be such a helpful tool for people, especially those who have chronic foot pain or chronic foot problems.

Sincerely,
    Issy

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had a child who had a 5th Met fracture...now healed
    would like to return to T Ball, sprinting and running.
    When and how should he gradually get back into his sport,
    regards
    jenie

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

That needs to be determined by and is part of the responsibility of his/her attending doctor. I suggest you check with him/her, and not rely on those who do not and cannot possibly know the case. You dealing with your child, not a piece of broken furniture.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello again,

I posted a couple of weeks ago with a question about my 5th metatarsal fracture ("I hope that you can help me. I fractured the 5th metatarsal 3-5 weeks ago but I just found out about the fracture this week when I sought out medical consultation") and the information that you gave me was very helpful - thank you! I have another question for you, as my doctor is out of town at the moment and I would be interested in your opinion on this, if I can provide enough information for you to answer it.

I found out that I have a Jones fracture of the 5th metatarsal of my right foot and that it probably occured on 12/10/08. It has not healed, and x-rays taken on 1/20/09 and 1/28/09 show evidence "of the fracture line is "nearly obscured by sclerosis and callus formation" due to healing." The fracture is transverse, but does not completely cross the bone; i.e. it is on the right side of the bone and goes approx. 1/2 way across the bone. The orthopaedic surgeon whom I saw recommended surgery as the only viable treatment at this point, and my family physician confirmed this when I went back to her for a second opinion. When I expressed my desire to explore options for conservative treatment of the injury, my family physician said that while she could put me in a cast with crutches (for non-weight bearing therapy) that the chances of the fracture healing at this point without surgery were probably less than 50%. I opted for surgery (screw placement to secure the fracture site) and had it scheduled for today.

Unfortunately, my three young children were diagnosed with strep last night and as they are contagious and the babysitter is sick, I could not leave them with anyone so I had to postpone my surgery. It will be at least two weeks before I can have the surgery, and I wonder if there would be any benefit in immobilizing the fracture in a cast and using crutches to follow a protocol of non-weight bearing between now and the surgery date. I also wonder if it would be helpful to have x-rays taken a few days before the surgery date, just to see if there have been any positive changes on the x-ray - this could be done whether I follow my current treatment protocol (wearing a walking cast or ortho. shoe and not walking on my foot without one of them) or if I wore a cast with crutches.

Currently, this thing hurts like the dickens and although I did find a walking cast (this makes sitting up tolerable, at least) and an appropriately-fitted comfortable orthopaedic shoe, the fracture site just hurts if I get off of the couch and have to move around on it. Driving is really painful, and I wonder if it would feel better if I didn't walk on it at all. Any information that you could provide me with would be helpful.

Thank you!
    Issy

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    The fact that the fracture site hurts when the foot is used probably indicates that it is not adequately immobilized, and although I certainly cannot interject anything definitive into a case of which I have no real knowledge, it would seem to me that, in general, stabilization would probably be appropriate. But you have a surgical doctor who clearly knows the specifics of your case, and he/she is the one who should be offering to you, ruling in or ruling out alternatives and adjuncts until the surgery can be performed, including the necessity for additional x-rays.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It has been over 5 weeks since I fractured my 5th metatarsil and I have been in a non walking cast too. It has been extremely hard on me asking for rides to work and school and also not being able to work out which I have been doing for the last 6 yrs before this happened. i am currently feeling some tenderness and a lil itching now and then. I have been doing everything the doc has told me to do for the most part. I am hoping when I see him againn on the 19th that I will be able to walk again on that foot. Not being able to work out or do most things myself has been very stressful. All I can say is drink lots of milk, eat lots of protein, quit smoking and stay off ur injured foot. Now I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to speed up the healing and what's the chance of getting the cast off on the 19th as long as I do what I am doing?

9. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It sounds to me as if you're doing what needs to be done. Other than for Jones fractures, most fractures of metatarsals require about 6 or so weeks to heal. Your own doctor should have more basis for a guess as to your chances of the cast being removed than would I or anyone else.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  10. aaa

aaa Guest

Hi,

I am a college varsity runner, and I believe I have fractured my 5th metatarsal.
    I was initially given an XRAY, but it came out clear.

It has been 7 weeks since the injury, and it is still really bothering me. I have been in and out of a walking boot, and in between tried just walking with a shank in my shoe.
    I have been trying to stay in shape by just pool running and biking...but this injury is not healing!!! HELP HELP HELP ME!

11. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Another x-ray may be helpful in clarifying whether your belief about a fracture is valid, but any real help would require a diagnosis as to what is causing your pain. I would assume that as you are running for your college's team, and ostensibly your injury is related to that, your athletic department should have available trainers and doctors qualified to make such a diagnosis, and you should not have to depend on posting to a forum.

12. yikii

yikii Guest

I have had pain on the bottom/outside edge of my foot, and also in the arch for sometime now...
    I am an active runner, and I have not been able to run now for about a month.
    I barely feel it while walking, although I am not able to run without pain.
    I got an mri, and it showed up as a stress reaction in the cuboid bone...
    just wondering if you have any additional advice in terms of healing it asap, and returning to activity...also what activities should i do to maintain fitness?
    I was also wondering if this could be a misdiagnosed cuboid syndrome?!

13. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Diagnoses are rarely properly made solely the basis of an MRI. Lab and radiological tests should be an adjunct to other findings. Unless you are talking about a stress fracture, I don't know what you mean by "stress reaction in the cuboid" or how this would be manifested on an MRI. There is no reasonable basis to state whether or not a proper diagnosis has been made without having examined you. If you have doubts, obtain a second opinion from a qualified doctor.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

All my doctor told me was that it is not a complete stress fracture, only a stress reaction, based on the MRI...
    I have been given crutches for 2 weeks.
    Just wondering if you had any experience with this type of injury or could offer any additional insight.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My husband (age 70 but very active with walking) wa seen by ortho surgeon.
    Surgeon said husband had an avulsion fracture right fifth lateral bone but proximally.
    DId not need cast or surgery, and that walking was ok, he was toAVOID ANY FLEXION OF foot and to avoid BIKE RIDING and RUNNING.

It has ony been two weeks and we want to go to Universal Studio. Husband says he
    has slight pain on walking.

SHould we go in two more weeks??

16. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

I have absolutely no idea why you or he would rely or even consider relying on opinions from someone who does not know your husband or his case rather than the attending doctor who does and has responsibility for his care.

FOOT DOC

17. Just completed half marathon today, surprisingly little muscular fallout after the event, although around 2-3 hours afterwards, I developed rapid onset of sharp pain in immediate vicinity of 5th metatarsal.
    Foot was fine throughout the race, and for a couple of hours post event.

I am a fairly heavy runner (90kg, as opposed to the usual beef jerky of most marathon runners)

Currently have it immobilised and applying ice and elevation, but local MD facility doesn't open for another 48Hrs (rural area, and I don't consider it worthy of emergency callout)

Any other suggestions to minimise damage until I can get this examined?

Many thanks.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello! As a competitive figure skater, dancer, and HIGHLY active individual, i was heartbroken a couple of hours ago to be told that i'd spiral-fractured my 5th metatarsal. It worries me a great deal to hear everyone talking about the healing process...the guestimate i was given was a shocking 6 weeks and i'd hoped that they were overestimating, as doctors normally do. please, PLEASE tell me someone knows a case where a teenager has recovered in say......a week, 2 weeks??

19. seeknay22

seeknay22 New Member

6 weeks is underestimating. I'm at week 6 right now and I have still not put any weight on it. Your looking at 8-10 weeks with surgery... more than 12 weeks without. I had surgery. Talk to your doctor for the best course of action.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I fractured my 5th metatarsal bone at the base a week ago, I was told that I do not need a surgery and I might be switching over to a regular well fitted shoe in 3 weeks. I am in an aircast boot and on crutches now. How long typically before one can drive after this kind of injury?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012