1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Painful bump on foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, May 14, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a small, pea sized bump on the underside of my foot that I have had for about 4 months now. It is right under the joint where my little toe and foot meet. When I walk on it on hard floors without shoes, it feels like I am walking on a rock and is very painul. Pain is relieved when I wear shoes. It is getting to where it aches when at rest now. When I touch it, I can move the bump around a little. I went to my family doc who took x-rays. The pictures show nothing wrong with the bone structure except that my 4th and 5th foot bones seem a little further apart than they should be. He says that there is definite swelling where the bump is and the swelling is going up my foot to my heel. He is sending me to a podiatrist with the diagnosis Morton's Neuroma. After some research, I am not sure this is a correct diagnosis for me. Nowhere that I have read says that the neuroma can cause a bump on that joint. I am hopeful that the podiatrist will be able to figure it out, but I would like to see what I can find out before my appointment. Can anyone on here help me out with ideas? Thanks so much!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I would agree that Morton's neuroma is not a reasonable diagnosis based on the information you've offered. If it is slightly mobile as you report, the bump may be consistent with a ganglionic cyst, but calling it pea-sized and then stating that the swelling is extending to your heel is not consistent with reason.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for your input. I see the podiatrist today. I will let you know what he thinks. But I think a ganglion does make more sense.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So according to the ultrasound today, it turns out it is a gangloin cyst! I go in for surgery in July. It is good to have a definite answer. Thank you again!