1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Second toe Sudden joint pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello...I scanned through threads looking for something similar and didn't see anything, so please forgive if this question has already been posed.

I'm female, 41 years old, height/weight proportionate with a fairly sedentary lifestyle (apart from mild floor exercise and housework). I do have Hashimoto's disease, and what I believe is undiagnosed arthritis symptoms. I've never had any foot injury or illness.

Yesterday, I noticed the joint on my second toe - right foot to be very painful upon bending and to the touch. There is no redness or swelling. Walking hurts upon flexing. There's been no injury and I have no explanation. The pain is nonexistent unless in motion, or flexing and inspecting the toe. Nail looks normal, and I don't see any signs of ingrowth.

Ideas?

Thank you,
    Shelly

2. JcC

JcC Guest

I am experiencing something similar on my left foot... An inexplicable pain involving second toe and only on certain flex motions.

My suspicion so far is new footwear. Recently disposed of 3 old pairs and got 3 new pairs, 2 dress shoes with rubber soles and a running/walking shoe. All comfortable when fitted, but am suspecting it's one of the dress shoes (not all 3) that is the source of the problem. All made by Ecco. I suspected this mainly because it started after the purchase and use thereof, and would be unlikely due to the crocs slippers i use when at home.

I will try to isolate it further but if anyone has any other ideas, I also have similar issues.

In particular, it sometimes feels like it's the pad below the second toe that hurts when pressed in a certain way, and also the inner lower part of the main joint of the second toe. It is a weird sense of pain because you can't seem to locate it but know that it involves the second toe, certain flex situations and movement.

39, M, 190lbs, 5'8"

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was just searching the internet to find out what my toe pain might be, and found these two posts.

I have a similar pain in my third toe, middle joint. It has been coming and going since i was 18 (I'm 27) and started when I began bartending. It seemed like longer days on my feet would cause the pain in this joint, but now that I have a 9-5 desk job it will still happen out of the blue sometimes.

The pain feels very hot, right in the joint, and yet there's no swelling or redness. It usually doesn't hurt to touch but does hurt to flex. Sometimes I could almost crack the joint (like you'd crack your knuckles) without trying to (with shoes on and everything) and it would cause flame-like pain to race up my foot.

I worried that this was gout for a little while, but have ruled it out. I really doubt that it's arthritis. Maybe it's just a random thing, but if anyone has any ideas about what this could be, I would really like to hear them!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i also have the some but i think its down to mortens toe and bad circulation ...

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Try looking up second metatarsal overload syndrome.

6. Alien Toe!

Alien Toe! Guest

• I have the same exact problem. It started without warning for me, about a week ago! It is the second toe (next to big toe) on my left foot. It is only affecting the tip of my toe - the joint section that includes the toenail, so my toe looks very alien-like! The last section of the toe is extremely swollen, red, and was painful at first but is less painful now - or I am just getting used to it. When it started hurting, I thought maybe I had an ingrown toenail, so I trimmed my nails, and the problem continued to worsen, unaffected by my nail trimming. It might be slightly less swollen than it was when it first started? I really don't know. The day it started I was wearing some close-toed booties with high heels (not super high, but still - heels). I have another pair of these identical to the ones I was wearing, just a different color, so I really don't think the shoes were to blame. PLUS - I was sitting at my desk at work all day on the day it happened.