1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Jones fracture?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Amos, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My Doctor suspects I have a Jones fracture of my right foot. X-rays do not confirm this. I suspect something less drastic. I am a runner and compete in distances from 5k to 1/2 marathon. I have pain in my foot at the very end of the fifth metatarsal and am able to keep running. In fact it usually feels better after a good warm up. Sometimes it hurts walking around sometimes it feels okay. I can run and walk but don't want it to get any worse. What else could this be and how should I be treating it?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I find it curious that your doctor only "suspects" a Jones fracture. Unlike a stress fracture, which is easy to miss, a Jones fracture is something that is either there or not there and should be obvious on x-rays, especially as to be called a Jones fracture, there are specific location criteria and classifications. So I don't understand the uncertainty. Also, although it is not clear which end of the metatarsal you mean, I would think that most folks saying "at the very end" would be speaking of the distal end near the 5th metataral-phalangeal joint, and that is not the end where a Jones fracture is seen. How you should be treating it is entirely dependent on what "it" is, and from what you have offered I don't have a clue.

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Thanks for the reply. My Doc said that these things don't always show up on the x-ray. He is a general practitioner. The end it hurts on is the end farthest from the small toe. Almost under the ankle. Any ideas? It sounds like he should refer me to a Podiatrist?

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It is not correct that a Jones fracture will not show up and be easily seen on an x-ray. The average GP has had limited if any training in diagnosing and treating the sort of complaint which you report. I would recommend you see either a podiatrist or an orthopedist.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Probably a UK hospital.

The procedure here:

You go to A+E the nurse takes a look and often you are sent to xray
    You wait hours
    xray is checked by a doctor (but not fracture doctor) i got told I would be in a weight bearing cast for 4 weeks and could fly after it comes off
    Then they put half cast on, so half is cast half bandage, to allow swelling
    Next day you go get full cast fitted. This time fracture doctor. I got told its jones fracture, no flying (plane) 3months, no weight on it 6weeks
    Then no other advice
    6weeks later cast off
    xrayed
    Another fracture doctor.
    You get cast on, or are allowed home with no advice

You don't pay for healthcare in UK. I wish I went private, your just a number in a que and they just want to get the que down. You do not have a specific number you can ring or a specific person. My GP can give me advice but not to the same level as the fracture doctor. If I was accident and emergency you see them straight away. But I'm not so you have to book in. Waiting list 4-6 weeks.

It is rubbish.
    So when people on here say ask you doctor not a message board. Sometimes in some countries it is not as simple as it seems. A doctor can be consulted in a few weeks, but sometimes it is nice to have an idea to stop the worry

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

There is apparently a huge difference both in how patients are treated and what their expectation of responsible treatment is in countries where the doctors work directly for the government and in countries where the doctor works for and have direct responsibility to the patient, even if the doctors fee is paid by the government. In the U.S., whether the patient pays him/herself for medical services or a private insurance pays or a government plan such as Medicare pays, the legal responsibility for a level of care which meets the standard of practice is identical. One who lives in a country where that is not the case cannot expect a doctor who practices in a country where that IS the case to supply him/her with information based on information less than that which that doctor would require for one of his/her own patients. The problem is your system and your having accepted less than responsive care as a trade-off for not having to pay for it. It is therefore unfair to criticize responsible doctors for not being willing to supply you with half-baked information of a type which he would never consider offering to his/her private patients without far more foundation and which may be more harmful than helpful, especially when your own doctors are getting paid to care for you and don't seem to take on the responsibility of doing so. I guess you get what you pay for.