1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Continued pain from tarsal coalition?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Tina, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Tina

Tina Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    When I was 15 I started having foot and ankle pain and was eventually diagnosed with a calcaneonavicular tarsal coalition in both feet. I had the surgery to remove the boney connection on my right foot when I was 16 and then when I was 19 I had the left foot done and bone fragments and scar tissue removed from the right foot. My left foot has never given me any more problems, but by 21 I had to have something else done with my right foot. When the boney connection was removed it apparently caused additional stress on the calcaneus-cuboid joint so a plate and 4 screws were put in to fuse the calcaneus and cuboid. Soon after I turned 22 the hardware was removed. I am now 23 and it has been about a year and a half since my last surgery and I am in pain again. I have been in pain since August but have been in denial about it. I finally broke down and set up an appointment for January 14th.
    The pain has seemed to be around the fibula and the talus. My question is has anyone else had this type of problem and what was your diagnosis. What might I be looking forward to? Thanks everyone!

2. Tina

Tina Guest

More information

I thought I would add a little more information...
    This pain isn't just when I am weight bearing, it is also when no pressure is applied at all. It is painful when I go to sleep and painful when I wake up. If I would have to rate it (1-10) I would say my pain never drops below a 3 and goes up to an 8 when its really bad. I have also started to get some pain around the outter part of the knee and behind the knee. I have been taking 600mg of ibu but it bairly seems to do the trick.
    I did some research and found that sometimes they do a triple arthrodesis on some patients that have continued tarsal coalition pain. Is this what I have to look forward to? Anyone else have tarsal coalition stories to tell?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi Tina. I'm Megan. When I was young, I had a sprained foot basically year-round. They thought I was just bluffing, but when I was 10, I was diagnosed with the same thing you were. Calcaneonavicular coalition. I had surgery immediatly after that on my right. Then as soon as I was weight baring I had my left surgery. My foot pain was better than before, but it still has never gotten better. I am now 14, and there are some days I can not walk. My doctor hasn't been able to figure anything out to fix mine either. I had to quit my sports. If you ever figured anything out it would be greatly appreciated to email me at potatocake3@aol.com !

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi, I had always had horrid pain in my ankles growing up, and had constant "sprained ankles" and went to numerous doctors about the problem, who all basically said I was faking it. It wasn't until I was around thirteen that a doctor discovered that I had Tarsal coalition, and I had operations on both ankles straight away. I am now 20 and still have severe pain in both my feet. Most days I can barely walk and need to get help from my partner to move around the house ( wonder man lol). I too broke down and finally got the courage to go back to the doctors today and today discovered I have arthritis in both ankles, and more complications. I'm pretty sure the only procedure left to do is an ankle fusion, which I didn't want to resort to because it can be very damaging on other joints and causes more problems in the long run, especially when done so young.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi Tina, My name is Alison and my son Dave has Tarsal Coalition he is 22 and had ops on both his ankles this year. They are both pinned but he is still in pain and going back to see his surgeon tomorrow. Just wondering how you got on? Email me on Alisonatbecks12@aol.com if you like.
    Alison