1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Bunion Surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    What is the recovery time? How long do you have to be off of your foot?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

=====================================
    There are far too many variables, including:
    1. The precise nature of the bunion deformity
    2. The specific procedure to be performed . . especially whether or not an osteotomy is necessary, and what sort of external fixation will be employed.
    3. Whether one or two feet are to be operated.
    4. The patient's physiologic age and condition, medical status, tolerance for discomfort, healing ability, whether there are existing medically complicating factors, propensity for swelling, venous and lymphatic status, degree of family support, cooperation and determination.
    5. The sort and degree of activity which must be achieved in order to constitute recovery.

That being said, in general, recovery time from bunion surgery varies from just a few weeks to six or more months. But only the operating surgeon, who knows and has evaluated the patient and knows what is to be done can effectively answer such a question, and only his/her opinion should be relied upon. Discuss this in great detail with your surgeon, especially if the length of the recovery time will be a "deal-killer" for you. Once sugery is done, it is what is it!

3. Re: Post bunionectomy PROBLEM :O(

HI,
    I had bilateral bunionectomy surgery about 5 yrs ago. RIght one, no problem. Left one....I want them to cut my foot off it hurts so very bad.

I think the doc possibly removed too much bone because it feels like the 2nd and 3rd to are almost turning sideways to accommodate the shorter bone. My 2nd toe went hammertoe after a bit, but worse is the bone that dropped and hits every time I walk. The ball of my foot is killing me. I've tried every gadget in the book, including molds made of my foot for inserts, things to hold the hammertoe down, things to cushion the bone that's hitting, it just gets worse with time. I am in serious pain. The doc wants to address the hammertoe, but I feel the real issue lies in the difference in the length of bones, but the hammertoe is painful.

Any suggestions?