1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th Metatarsal break

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by AAflyer, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    OMG! I didn't realise there were lots of other people that just could not stand this FD attitude. I am going to start collating these forum's negative responses and get onto the people who fund the website!!!

Oh by the way Doc my name is Stephanie just so you remember, you called me a fool and god knows what else without too much provocation on a different 5th Metatarsal discussion.

I knew working in advertising would help me to do some good in the future at some point! Might as well do something positive while my foot is up!!!!

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Just getting back to the point!

The best advice re any Jones fracture of the 5th metatarsal has to be " take it easy and double the recovery time you've been given". Not great news I know and an absolute pain if you're pretty athletic, but that's how it is.

My own case; Broke the 5th metatarsal Aug 1st 2009 playing Football (that's Soccer to the cousins across the pond!). 5 weeks in a plaster cast followed by another 6 in the air boot. The latter involved exercises on the bike and, if I'm honest a bit too much weight bearing.

When the air boot came off started physio, more bike work, more walking and some running on a flat surface. Eventually stated playing football Feb 2010 - 6 months after the initial injury. Everything was fine - no pain or symptoms - for 7 weeks. Then a re-occurance of the pain in the same part of the foot. After waiting a couple of weeks there was no easing of the pain so went to the hospital to have it examined/Xrayed. Doctors said there was still a hairline fracture in the injury but that everything had healed fine, so I could just 'get on with it'. I did - and broke the foot in the same place 4 days later. Nothing dramatic and no contact; simply turned on it quickly and felt the crack! Ouch!

Now, it's surgery. A screw and a bone graft and a very long recuperation period I expect! Driving me nuts but if I'd listened to what my body was telling me rather than the Doctor I might not be in this position of frustration.

Moral: It's a pain but you've got to give the body time to do its healing job.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi everyone. I'm not even going to respond to the "DR's" comments, seems everyone has summed it up already! Anyway, I myself have Broken my 5th Met. Just the other day (may 3rd) and received some basic info from my Doc. I was in so much pain that I cannot remember if I was able to walk with the aircast without doing damage. I have my follow-up in another week and a half and I am hoping for good news. So my question is; AM I prolonging the healing process by walking on my foot with the aircast?? I wear this thing all day long and at night, hoping to heal faster. Could I just be backtracking the healing process while walking on it, keeping in mind I am using a crutch for a little support. I would use both crutches, but even with added padding on the arm support, they are painful to use!! Doc I know there has been MUCH criticism, so I was wondering if you could also answer my question. (Great opportunity to redeem yourself!) This is the only forum I can find with honest responses! Please help!
    From
    Richmond Hill Canada

4. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

Generally, I neither read nor respond to posts in this thread as it the playground of n'er-do wells of the type whose only purpose in surfing forums is to criticize the efforts of others and disrupt. But for some reason, I read your post today and found it so curious that I am responding. Why did I find it curious?? Because you offer your opinion that this is the only forum where you can find honest response . . ostensibly from me, as I provide the vast majority of medical responses. And yet in soliciting my advice for your case you employ the generally intended pejorative connotation to be gleaned from placing quotes around DR and suggest that I am in need of redemption. So, as a preamble to my consideration of your question, I will say that I stand four-square behind my long-ago comments to the original poster in this thread, who should have directed his question, as actually should you, to the provider of his care if indeed he had concern for himself and wished an accurate answer. He alleged that he was a pilot for a major airline. Now, modern day aircraft are marvels of technology which pretty-much fly themselves, with the pilots there most of the time to go along with the ride and to monitor the computers which are actually flying the plane. But every once in a while the pilot is called upon to make judgments which only a human can make, and the passengers on that airplane may have their lives in that pilots hands and judgment. Personally, I would not knowingly want to be flying in an airplane commanded by someone such as the poster who apparently had so little concern for himself that I would question how much concern he had for me as his passenger . . just as you might likely not be very comfortable under the knife of a your surgeon whom you had reason to suspect was careless in his/her general life.

Now, to YOUR question. An air cast is both a generic type of device and a proprietary commercial line of products. You might have seen the generic air cast while watching a football game, where a player has broken or is suspected of having broken a limb, and a plastic sleeve shaped to that limb is placed over the part and inflated, so as to act as a temporary splint. On the other hand the Aircast Company offers a diverse line of products. I don't know which one was used on you or why it was selected instead of other methods of external fixation for a fracture. Accordingly, I will offer you the same sensible and honest advice which I correctly offered to the initial poster in this forum . . Simply call the person who best knows your case . . the doctor who you engaged, who is the only one who is responsible to you, and ask him/her. THAT is the honest response which you have come to expect.

FOOT DOC

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I posted this on another page but it may be relevant here. A knee scooter has been my salvation. Me and crutches are not the best match. See if you can rent a knee scooter from a medical supply place. I don't recommend purchasing one because, at least in my case, after 4 to 6 weeks it doesn't work as well and I bring it back for another one.
    I think each person heals differently. I am a 59 year old female. My injury occurred at the end of January. Diagnosed with an acute Jones fracture, with well-delineated breaks, my [board certified] podiatrist immediately ordered a bone stimulator which I use twice daily. He also warned me the limited blood supply probably would impact healing time. I was advised that it was a serious injury.

Each successive x-ray has shown progress with good alignment. Since union has not yet occurred I am still non-weight bearing [therefore can't drive] and am in a soft cast. It's been just over 3 months. I know I don't heal quickly and that my age and the location of the fractures in the bone factor into it.

I get around with a knee scooter which is such a lifesaver. Crutches are not my friend but I have to use them for any steps.

Anyway, there are guidelines for healing but as you can see in my case I've surpassed the time lines. I have the utmost confidence in my doctor and am being an excellent patient so I don't end up with residual problems. Good Luck to you.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OMG "Foot Doc".... Are you real? I'm sure you or anyone else would survive the simulator.

7. Sean

Sean Guest

Hi All

I broke my 5th metatarsal about a week and a half ago. I had surgery last friday a screw down the middle. It's quite painful now but getting better (I hope).

I'm getting married in 5 weeks so I have to be walking. Going back for an xray in 2 weeks soI'll know then.

8. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    A fracture in an optimum location of a 5th metatarsal for healing generally takes about 6 weeks to heal. But with surgery being performed and a "screw down the middle" being placed, it sounds as if it MIGHT be a Jones fracture. If that is the case, it was NOT in a the best of area for healing, and will likely take more than 6 week . . . and possibly much longer. Check with your doctor about the advisability of bearing weight on this type of fracture so soon as such a fracture as MIGHT have occurred can be problematic and generally requires more time and care.

FOOT DOC

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I broke my 5th metatarsol on april 14 no cast just a ace wrap and a boot it is now 12 weeks later and still no heal I am getting fed up with my dr he is not doing NOTHING for me but I'm afraid to goo to another because of the insurance. Any ideas? I have had alot of bone trouble in the past like a hip repl, knee repl. broken foot on other side, and I have osteo arthritis. Any help willl be appreciated. THANKS.Oh and I am only 47 yrs old too !!

10. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

The key to fracture healing is:

1. Immobilization and stabilization of the fracture segments
    2. Adequate circulation and a healthy repairative system

Most properly cared for metatarsal fractures, other than Jones fractures, heal pretty routinely in about 6 weeks or so. If yours has not healed in 12 weeks as you state, that would indicate a situation which would require a hands-on evaluation. If you have concerns about your doctor's care, YOU are his employer and he owes you an explanation. If you have concerns about your insurance coverage, call your insurance company and determine if your concerns are valid. There is nothing that anyone can responsibly offer to you in a forum which will avoid the need for what I have suggested.

11. Nancy

Nancy Guest

Hi, I just completed 5 weeks so far in my friend, the air boot, for my 5th metatarsal break.

Doing pretty good so far. My main 'problems' have simply been my ankle and shin getting tired of the much less mobile walking/gait. My doc's office did the second exray today, while I was bearing weight, and it looks good. You see the fx, but also the white coloration of the growing new cartilage and bone. Yea.

I will keep the air boot on for three more weeks, and then we have a plan decided upon.

Wear it at school the last week, and take it off at home between 4 to 9 p.m.
    The next week, take it off after lunch for my last two classes.
    The following week, take it with me to school, but don't put it on, unless there is swelling or a lot of aching. Just keep the boot with me and see how it goes.

I do take (very faithfully) a woman's multi vit, calcium, lysine, and for general health a cranberry tab and an acidolphillus tab. I have craved quite a bit of extra protein, so have been focused on that, more than usual.

those are my ideas or suggestions to all of you who have a 5th met break.

God bless you all.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I guess I'm like just anybody who needs information - go to the relevant site in the internet! Thanks a lot for all those information. I had a closed spiral fracture of the left fifth metatarsal 12 days ago, and am now in plaster cast. The general conclusion I gather from all the reading is - no weight bearing, and be patient. But we still have to move around, right? OK, well, I'm on crutches and hobbling along. But sometimes I landed on the injured foot heel. So, if it is the heel pressing down, is that OK, or is that already weight bearing? Hope someone will answer that. Also, the doctor said I can switch to an air walker after two weeks. So another question: can I take it off when I go to shower? At present I wrap my plaster in plastic. Ha ha. Also, can I take the air walker off when I go to bed, or do I have to keep in on (ugh!)? Final question - anybody has any opinion about the healing properties of far infrared therapy socks? Really, really hope someone will answer that. But try not to be too nasty if you think the questions are airheaded! Ha ha. Thanks all the same.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  13. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I keep coming back to this over and over again. The reason one goes to a doctor is to have him/her take over the case and provide and advise treatment which is tailored to the individual and his or her problem. There is no such thing as a generic or one-size-fits-all answer to medical problems and especially the treatment of trauma, which requires individualization. The only question you've asked which is of general nature is about "infrared socks," which I have never heard of. The appropriate person to be asked and to answer any and all questions about your specific treatment and what you can or cannot, should or shouldn't do is the doctor who has assumed responsibility for your care. For your own health and well being, please do not rely on parties who have no involvement in your case to advise you on factors which might have grave bearing on your recovery.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. See, most of us here visit this page only when we have/had the injury, so everything is new and we so need a LOT of info and advice. Then we get well and we don't visit till the next time (knock wood it does not happen again!) Whereas you see cases like us repeatedly so it became like a classic frustrating case of people never listening and never learns. So, thanks. You're doing a great job.

15. I feel like there are so many horror stories out there about foot fractures, so I wanted to offer some hope to anyone with this injury. I suffered a severe ankle sprain and 5th metatarsal fracture (non-Jones) on May 31. I was wearing chunky platform sandals and tripped and fell. That's all it took. Given that my wedding is in August, being out of commission was simply not an option, so I was determined to heal quickly. I am also a very physically active person, so being sidelined with an injury like this was beyond depressing. It was very important to follow my podiatrist's advice very strictly, and I can now say it paid off.

I was put in a soft cast and given crutches for the first week or so. During that time, I put ZERO weight on my injured foot, and had it wrapped tightly, elevated constantly, and iced religiously. I can say that simple activities like showering and cooking took on a whole new meaning during this time. My cast was removed around day 8 or 9 and I was put into an aircast walking boot, and told to gradually start putting weight on it. I continued to keep it wrapped, and elevated/iced when I wasn't attempting to walk or stand. I also did epsom salt baths once a day for 15 minutes.

After 2 weeks, I was able to walk short distances in the aircast (vital because I live in a city and everything involes walking). Walking in that boot is a pain on your back/hips because the boot makes one foot a bit higher off the ground than the other, so you're not on an even plane. At the end of week 3, an X-ray indicated that bone callus was beginning to form, and my doctor advised that I was in no danger of displacing the bone, unless I did something incredibly stupid like fall down the stairs.

By the end of the 4th week, the swelling was completely gone, and just some black-and-blue at the base of my toes. I was back to wearing sneakers-- just in time to attend my bachelorette party! I always kept the aircast or a single crutch near by, in case I needed it for support. During this time, I walked with a limp, and it took a few more weeks to re-learn my normal gait again. I also took physical therapy twice a week for 3 weeks. (This turned out to be a total waste of time and money. If you can get your doctor to just teach you some strength and balance exercises, you can do your own PT at home. It's not hard.)

An X-ray during week 7 indicated bone callus was continuing to form and I was on my way to full recovery. By week 8, I had resumed my kickboxing classes, though did no actual kicking with my injured foot, just to be safe.

I am now about to round out week 12, with one week to go until my wedding, and I have been 100% mobile for several weeks now. I can jog lightly, jump rope, balance on the injured foot and am basically back to normal. Every now and then I take an awkward step and the minor pain I feel reminds me that I'm not yet invincible and that I will always need to be careful, given that I'm a huge klutz. I do not smoke, stick to a healty diet, and work out hard about 6 days a week, so I feel like that contributed to my healing.

When I first had my injury, I spent hours scouring message boards like this, and was in a total state of despair. So for those of you who have been hearing horror stories, let me tell you that with the right discipline and care, a lot of prayer and perhaps a little luck, you CAN speed your healing time. This too SHALL pass. Best of luck and hang in there.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Let me just simply say... ANYONE can set up a forum, and profess they are a doctor or whatever. For this very reason I find it odd there is no absolute identity divulged of said 'FootDoc' which is more than just suspicious. Additionally, if remotely true... practice would fail miserably due to conduct should a physician treat patients with such disregard.

A reputable 'doctor' would have no reason to conduct himself in such a derogatory fashion (verbal dribble), as well as not divulge name, practice, etc. Think about the advertising platform not being utilized.

Food for thought... when in doubt - throw it out!

by
    Maker of the world~
    (oops... I mean just one who lives on the planet.) Point made.

Hope your issue has resolved AAflyer.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Is there a brace specifically made to support the 5th metatarsal?

My son broke his 5th metatarsal approx 1 year ago. He is playing college football now, and stepped on the foot of a defender and rolled his same foot. x-rays showed no break. He is just trying to find a brace or suggestion about taping etc that can lend support.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi there,

I am a 22 year old female, I am healthy ( do not smoke, drink or any type of Drugs) I broke my left foot Last August ( 8/6/10). When I went to the ER they told me I had broken my 5th Metatarsal and that I needed to see a doctor, but the doctor they recommended was no in that night. So I went home in a splint and on Crutches. I went to see this DOC 2 days later ( the earliest he could see me) He put me in a boot that was way to big for my foot ( I am a size 5 and they gave me a boot that fit my size 12 father) My foot was in a lot of pain, and he told me to just use the crutches. I tried but the boot was too big, that I could not bend my knee to move with the crutches. I went back to the DOC he told me they didnt carry boots in my size an to wear a big sock and it would heal on its own. Well I was so aggrivated with them I wanted to get a second opinion but I had to wait until he cleared me to see some one new, I was talking to my soon to be mother in law ( who works at a rehab hospital) and she found someone to help me get a boot that would fit. This lovely man got me a ped. boot and it fits great.

So after 3 1/2 months in the boot this same DOC told me that my foot was healed, ( even though I was in a lot of pain, I was walking on it but with a lot of discomfort) That I was just being a big baby and it was time for me to be a big girl, and get out of the boot. ( I tried to walk with out the boot but it hurt too much) Well I was really pissed at this point and I had a physical in 4 days so wanted to get a his opinion, he thought that my foot wasnt healed and sent me to a second Doc ( who is great!) He found that it wasnt healed, Longer stories short; almost 8 months later I am still in the boot ( 2 months from my wedding mind you!!! Talk about stressed we had already set the date, and booked the hall before the break) ( I was in a cast for 6 weeks no weight bearing what so ever, and then PT for 4 weeks, but I just went back for a follow up and they saw the fracture pulling apart) and I have to go get at CT at the end of the week, it has been a very long, stressful, tireing, painful process that I just want to end! I am so done with this in and out of work, not being able to work out and my foot being in constant pain!

My advise to anyone is make sure you listen to the DOCS, and if you dont think something is right get a 2nd opinion, I was stupid and waited!!! I am paying that price!

Amema

19. Jantje

Jantje New Member

Hi AAflyer and all other fellow pilots cursed with fractures of our lovely fifth metatarsal.

I'm quite happy to see that I'm not the only pilot cursed with this.
    I'm a captain on the 777 and I suffered the fracture 6 weeks ago. I was put off flying for this period of time. I just did my sim ride and passed the medical board. First of all, doing the sim doesn't hurt. V1-cuts, rejects and max effort braking didn't hurt at all. I too had the question wether a low visibility reject would spoil the healing done, but the orthopedic surgeon I am seeing said it wouldn't. Walking however is still challenging. It's sore, and I'm still afraid to walk normally. So what I'm more concerned about is the lengthy walks we have to make to and from the gates. It would be rather silly for the passengers to see a limping pilot walking to his airplane. Having said this, as I'm back on active flight duty, I try not to limp when in public, but it's hard *not to do. I guess my foot isn't completely healed yet. Unfortunately finding good health care in the country I work in is hard. I did lots and lots of research on this topic but I must sadly admit that doing your own research through google makes you feel worse.

My fracture was never displaced and was/is very close to the base of the fifth metatarsal. It looks more like a crack than a complete break of the bone.*
    I believe in second opinions, so I went to another orthopedic surgeon and he had a totally different diagnosis and approach. Thus the more confusion. As previously mentioned, health care isn't the best here.
    I've decided to trust the doctor who released me for flying, but I think I have some more healing to do. So all I can say is your not alone and this will take long, which unfortunately for us in our line of work is catastrophic.

Keep the blue side up:)

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hi there i broke my 5th metatarsal 5 week ago had a cast on it for 4 weeks and have it off a week now but it showed in the xray at week 4 that it hasnt really healed yet and the doc told me to put a light amount of weight on my foot for next 3 weeks.. there is no pain when i walk on it but would i be better keeping my foot bandage up?(i dont have it bandage at the min) and off the ground? for the 4weeks till i go back to the doc.. this break is very anoying and cannot wait til i can get back to my sport of motocross..

any helped greatfully acceped

thanks Dan