1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain in ball of foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Sam S, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Sam S

Sam S Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I've been experiencing pain on the ball of my left foot. It feels as if I have a small pebble under the skin on the outer ball in line with the 4th and 5th toes. I have very soft feet and this spot is slightly harder than the rest of the underside of my foot (callus?). It is sometimes painful to walk on (enough to favor it and place more weight on inner ball) and sometimes hardly noticeable. It is more painful when I'm walking barefoot or in socks. Not as much with shoes on. I first noticed it about 2 months ago and it hasn't gotten any better or worse since then. Any thoughts on what this condition might be?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

There is no possible way to offer you a meaningful diagnosis without a hands-on examination, as there are a number of condition of various causes, necessitating different treatment procedures, which might fit the description you have offered.

Forums such as this are not appropriate venues for the making of most diagnoses. You need to be seen by a podiatrist.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

As above poster stated, you are best to have your foot examined (a podiatrist would be recommended) however there are a few common conditions that can cause similar symptoms.

1) a corn (heloma molle) which is a build up of hard skin in areas of excess pressure. The pain from this symptom can be relieved by debridement by a podiatrist, and perhaps prevented by removing the underlying cause if it happens to be poor biomechanics causing the excess pressure, or a bony prominence.

2) a wart or verrucae pedis

3) ? foreign body under the skin

4. Lyn

Lyn Guest

I once read someting about a thin parasitic worm that gets into the body and after some growth time, makes its way to the sole of the feet to reach water, for the purpose of discharging eggs or something like that.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yes, it is called a foot worm and it is a larvae-borne parasite injected into the bloodstream through through the bite of an infected mosquito.
    Put your foot in a bucket of water, and after about 10 minutes the worm will poke its head through to lay some eggs and have a little drink of water. At that point, if you're quick enough, you can snatch it with a pair of tweezers and pull it out.
    If you miss it, he will travel back up your leg and live there for a while until he's thirsty again.
    Be patient, and good luck!