1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

pus under large right toenail

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, I was hoping someone could help me understand what *might* be my issue.
    Awoke Sunday am with toe hurting. Upon inspection, saw redness at base of right toe and what appeared to be a small opaque area under the nail. Hubby said it looked like pus. If you were to look down at your right big toe, the area would be the lower left corner of the nail. I thought I had "paronychia" from what I read on the internet. Pain was mild, not unbearable. But I am diabetic, so concerned I was and went to urgent care that morning.
    The doctor gave me a shot of antibiotic and prescription of augmentin, which I am taking twice a day. He said the nail was ingrown, which surprised me b/c I have never had problems with ingrown toenails; I cut my nails straight across and what little pain I was experiencing did not seem to be on the side of my toe but more at the corner/bottom of the nail.
    I saw my podiatrist the next day and he wants to remove the entire nail. I have scheduled this for a few days, but my toe is feeling a little better - hardly any pain - I can walk in shoes the entire time alright, the redness seems to be subsiding - but the pus remains under the toe and has even spread a little. I am soaking in epsom 2x/day for 20 minutes and continuing my antibiotics and cleaning the nail and bandaging.
    I guess my question is, is it really possible to have an ingrown toenail near the base of your big toe? I have never heard of it and my husband suffers regularly from the "usual" kind. Also, while I realize I am not the expert here, I wonder if removing my nail would cause more trauma to my toe than is necessary since I'm diabetic? (I know - I'm just chicken to have it removed!)
    Any information or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Infection at the base of the toenail is not uncommon. Whether it is properly termed "ingrown" or not makes no real difference. The use of antibiotics alone as the main treatment for any infection where drainage can be easily effectuated is rarely the best way to go. In most cases, an avulsion of all or a portion of the nail to facilitate that drainage is appropriate. Especially as a diabetic, you cannot allow such an infection to smolder. Any surgical procedure, though, must be evaluated, performed and followed with particular care as you ARE a diabetic.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you very much for your prompt and informative response. The podiatrist said my feet looked well for a diabetic (no cracks, open sores, etc) and I have no neuropathy as I have my feet tested yearly.
    Again, thank you - I will keep my appt for Friday to have the nail removed <insert chicken clucking sounds here> :)

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I seem to be having the same issue did you find out what caused the infection and did having ur toe nail removed help also did you have the pus removed?