1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Problems after permanent removal of Ingrown toenail

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Ok so, the best way I can describe this is my toenail seems to be growing back. I had an ingrown toenail on my right big toe, it was growing into the left side of the toe. I had it partially removed 3 times to no avail so I decided to go for a permanent toenail removal, completely removing the toenail and stopping it from growing back. The removal of the toenail happened about a year or two ago.
    My toe, where the nail used to be has healed as it should except for the spot where the toenail had invaded my toe on the side where there is and always has been, since the removal of my toenail, a hole. In this hole, I've noticed a nail growing out of it (what seems like a nail anyway). I am able to pull it out without any pain so that's not a problem, what is is that it is freaking weird and I don't want it there but it just keeps coming back. There is no infection, no pain, just a nuisance that I want to get rid of or at least understand.
    I guess the best way of putting it is, it's as if my toenail somehow planted root where it was growing into my toe and decided to start growing from there instead since the doc killed the root of the toenail where it naturally is.
    Anyone have any ideas or help or tips?
    They'd be much appreciated.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i had the same thing happen. they told me my nail would never grow back but it did, and it only took a few months. but every few months it "dies" or stops growing, and i have to yank it off or worry about snagging it on a sock. but like you said it doesn't hurt at all. my guess is that the chemicals used weren't applied long enough or not placed deep enough in the nail bed.