1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

cut nerve/soccer questions

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Good Morning, and thanks for this service. I'm looking for information and directions to go with my son's right foot. He had a fib-tib break (clean across the middle of the tibia,; fibula broken in equal thirds) in a soccer game 9/1/08. He had surgery (pin down through the Tibia) 9/3/08. He is now able to walk and weight bear, but is not yet cleared to run, jump, cut. He has a tingling on the lower outside calf, and has no sensastion in a 1"x3"patch over his big toe matatarsal. The big toe can flex down (but is weaker than the left) and it cannot extend/push up at all. He had some fasciculations and tremor in the toe in the weeks post-surgery. Nerve testing done yesterday suggests that the branch of the sciatic nerve that comes over the top of the fibula was cut (not just damaged) at some point in the process of injury or repair. The neurologist says wait-and-see if the nerve will regrow; he says either it will (in 9 mos. or so) or it won't. He suggests prognosis is limited.

My son loves the game, *needs* to play if at all possible. I'm worried that trying to go back to play with a weakened and numb area of his foot is begging for more injury, altho' the neurologist suggested that his soccer cleats would give adequate support. He said he would rule out opening the area up, but didn't say why. I don't want to just give up and play "wait-and-see" if I should be doing something else, but when asked, he had no other advice for me.
    Any thoughts or ideas are welcome

Many thanks again-
    Mick

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I cannot assert strong enough or often enough as to how the making of decisions related to trauma are not anywhere near as simple and/or straight-forward as making decisions relating to the treatment of naturally occurring aliments in which, for the most part, the basics do not often dramatically differ from one patient to another. As with most trauma, your son's case is almost surely unique to him, and although general principles of treatment can often be discussed in forums, information such as you are soliciting here or even thoughts and ideas which you might then deem to apply to his individual situation are not appropriate fodder for discussion, especially if what you actually want is realistic advice on which you might then base decisions of your own. No responsible doctor would, or at least should, interject opinions based on such entirely inadequate medical information as has been or can realistically be expect to be supplied here. Believe me . . I do you a service by responsibly NOT attempting to second-guess your attending doctors. If you truly want another well-based medical opinion, get one from another examining doctor who can also review all of the medical records.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Fair enough- I was just doing my reading on-line, found this forum, and thought to give it a try. I hope I didn't come across as asking you to second-guess another professional; just looking to see what others with some background have to say and then filtering that through what seems right to me and for my son. Your time and thoughtful response is appreciated. I'm pursuing more information from the neurologist, from PT, and others concurrently, so it sounds like I'm doing what I should be.
    Best Wishes-
    Mick