1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Lingering pain in fracture site after Jones fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,

I was diagnosed with a Jones fracture 6 months ago. Under the supervision of my foot doctor, I went the non-surgical route which ended up being 12 weeks of non weight bearing in a boot. The 2 months after I got off the crutches I was restricted to mostly light activity because my foot muscles were in the process of coming back and there was pain throughout my entire foot that diminished over time. After 5 months, I felt almost 100 percent. I went on a backpacking trip which entailed a lot of heavy walking. My foot held up great the first 2 weeks (not walking every day. 3 days on the trail, 2 days off), then the part of my foot where the Jones fracture occurred began to hurt while the rest of my foot felt O.K. My question is: what is a possible explanation for this pain in the Jones area of my foot? Could I have induced a stress fracture from too much activity on a bone that may not have been 100 percent healed? There is a very very small amount of swelling. Is lingering pain in the previously fractured area common? My foot doctor told me I did not have to see him again but I suppose I will make another appointment (long wait to see him). Thanks.

-Bob

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello Bob,
    Did you have pain at the fracture site when you started walking ? (i.e. after your 12 weeks)
    Also how much muscle waste did you have ?

Mick

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Not sure about muscle waste, but yes ,there was some pain in the fracture area when I started walking, but it was dwarfed by the pain in the rest of my foot at the time. this subsided with time though. A few weeks before I left for the trip the fractured area would hurt slightly after I walked for a long time but this pain would go away the next day. I also never had problems with the fractured area for the first part of my hiking trip.

4. Mick D

Mick D New Member

What did your doctor say about the pain you feel at the fracture site ?

Mick

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

nothing yet but i am going to ask when I see him at the end of the month

6. Mick D

Mick D New Member

Cheers, good luck to you.

Mick

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks! hope all goes wells. I am going to make an earlier appointment with a different doctor so I have a second opinion anyways.
    -Bob

8. Mick D

Mick D New Member

Any updates Bob, would love to hear your story.

Mick

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What is the cause of pain at a fracture site that has healed ?

Mick

10. bobbiroehr

bobbiroehr New Member

Waiting to hear your reply!