1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Jones Fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by g024272, Feb 16, 2010.

1. g024272

g024272 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    In general, is it necessary to keep weight off a Jones fracture until the bone is fully joined? Will this be visible on an x-ray?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi there,

Well I don't know for your case. But I was in a non weight wearing cast for 8 weeks. And when I went to have cast off the xray showed that the bone has began to fuse together but not fully. I began to walk slowly without the cast and it took a while. Maybe upto 4weeks to be able to walk normally.

Not all cases are the same

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Because of the typically decreased circulation in the area of the bone at which a Jones fracture takes place, there is the potential for problematic healing or non-healing. Weight-bearing is generally to be avoided for a period of time to better assure adequate stabilization of the fracture segments, as movement at the fracture interface will further compromise healing. The protocol and timing of non-weight-bearing often differs from doctor to doctor, and unless you distrust your doctor's judgment regarding this or any matter concerning your treatment, I would think that you would solicit such information from him/her and follow his/her protocol. If, on the other hand, you do not respect your doctor's judgment, perhaps you should be seeing another doctor. "Generalities," as you request in your query, are irrelevant to your individual situation.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010