1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Severs disease

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Jones, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Jones

Jones Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I've had sever's disease for the last 2.5-3 years. I've tried stretches casts and every treatment. Can anyone help?

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Super Moderator

What is your age? Are you sure its Severs disease?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i've been to 3 doctors who all say it's sever's disease and i'm not going to post my age, it's become a real nuissance and i can barely walk more than an about 2 hours without them hurting.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE
    READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.

Sever's is a condition limited to children and adolescents who have not yet achieved closure of the posterior growth plate of the heel bone. If you are at an age where this has already occurred, it cannot be Severs. If you are at an age when it can occur, you more than likely are a minor, and as you can note in my disclaimer (above), on legal and ethical considerations, I do not knowingly directly offer responses to minors

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My son is 10 and has severs disease and he is in extreme pain constantly e is a top footballer but watching him go thruogh this pain is terrible. Severs disease prevents him from doing alot of things as the pain is unbearable Good luck to you

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Sever's disease does not necessarily have to be chronic until one's mid to late teen years (when it will spontaneously resolve anyhow), unless one makes it so by not strictly following prescribed treatment or returning to precipitating activities too soon or non-judicially after symptoms have abated, or, in some cases, acknowledging that certain activities are inappropriate for that individual until the growth center closes. In the case of this poster's son, if he is having pain, he should not concurrently be playing football or sports involving running or jumping. Everyone makes choice . . some are wise . . some are not.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

My child has been suffereing with severe's disease now for about 6 months. We completely shut her down from any activities for 6 weeks, treated her heels with ice as much as possible daily. We tried basketball practice for the first time tonight and she was in pain within 20 minutes yet again. Getting very frustrated and not sure what to do!!!

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Rest, which ranges from not running or jumping to sometimes casting is required to adequately bring Sever's into remission, although not necessarily cure. Wearing a shoe with a heel raise, refraining from going without shoes or shoes without heels, heel pads and orthotics are among the typical approaches. The condition is self-limiting and will resolve on its own when the growth center closes in the teen years. But returning to activity must await the resolution of ALL symptoms, and then only on a graduated and trial basis. If the condition continues to return in spite of exhausting all possible treatments, then the child might have to avoid participation in precipitating activities until the growth center closes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 8-yo son has Seever's disease. Can anyone recommend a specific sneaker that would help to relieve his pain, i.e., New Balance, Nike, etc.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have Severs and I just got the new reeboks that Ochocinco is in the comercial for and I wear a heel rise and I can now run on the road which i have not been able to do for 3 years without terrible pain and not being able to walk afterwards. I hope this helps and my doctor told me that I will have it till I am down with puberty which will be when I am in my 20s. I play sports still because my doc told me it will not cause anymore damage than what has been caused...