1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Slightly Swollen Purple Great Toe (Medial Phalanx)

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by thelionelking, Apr 14, 2011.

1. thelionelking

thelionelking New Member

I take a kickboxing class and kicked the heavy bag incorrectly two days ago Monday 4/11. I struck the bag with the very top of my foot right at the top of the first metatarsal. Immediately afterwards there was some pain and slight numbness near the ball of my foot, behind my great toe, and I felt like there was something stuck to the bottom of my foot. I stopped class right away and saw that the Medial Phalanx (between the tip of my great toe and the first metatarsal) was very swollen and purple. Pain level was about 6 or 7 (out of 10).

I immediately iced my toe, kept it elevated and took Ibuprofen for the next 24 hours. Followed that with warm compress at 36 hours. I now have no pain when walking. However, my toe is still swollen and purple and I still feel a bit of pain when putting pressure on the ball of my foot (1 of 10 on pain scale). And I feel pain when putting pressure on the discolored area with my fingers. My question is, would it be a better course of action to get x-rayed or wait it out? I am in the US and would like to avoid going to the hospital if possible. Is discoloration and slight pain a big deal? I have not gone back to sports and have tried to avoid putting weight on the area as much as possible.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice you can give me.