1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Think I need a superstar surgeon but who?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Msilaine, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Msilaine

Msilaine New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have bad bunions, hammer toes, flat feet and well-controlled Type 2 diabetes. Had the right foot done February 2014.

As soon as the cast came off, I could see that the big toe was still crooked. It is pushing the three middle toes so much to the right that the fourth toe is submerged, and the little toe is rubbing any shoe I wear and getting an ulcer.

My surgeon was highly rated but not very experienced and sort of clumsy. I kinda had a bad feeling but he was very smart and very nice so I went with him anyway. The wounds all healed well, but I know I need more surgery and I don't want to go back to him.

How do I find a superstar surgeon? In the Washington DC area.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

How can you say your surgeon was highly rated if he was inexperienced? Unfortunately, patients can only rate their doctors in regard to their personality and that has nothing to do with competence. I would start off by making sure that the doctor is Board Certified. If he is a podiatrist, make sure that the Board that certified him is The American Board of Podiatric Surgery. The Washington area has many fine podiatric surgeons. Read the "sticky post" above the question area at the top of the forum page on this site titled, "What is reasonable to expect from a podiatric surgeon."

3. Msilaine

Msilaine New Member

Thank you for the response. The organization you mention, the American Board of Podiatric Surgery, has changed its name to the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery. It does not appear to have a database which is searchable by the public. I have sent them an email requesting that information.

The doctor I used appears to be board certified by the American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics.

Nevertheless, and this is hard to explain, but I think he's kind of klutzy. Lots of book learning, but he doesn't have the almost magic touch you see with really good surgeons. I used to be a surgical assistant in labor and delivery, a completely different area, but I could observe that some surgeons were better with their hands than others.

I understand that it's not unforeseeable for bunion surgery to need to be redone, not holding that against him, it was a complex procedure. I just want to try someone else.

Edited to add: perhaps the better course would be to get a copy of my records and talk to several doctors and get more than one second opinion on how to proceed. I believe that I will ask, who else to they think I should consult?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Probably by now you have sought a few moire surgeons! That's a good idea. If it were me, I would also ask how many surgeries per year of just this type s/he does--and with what success rate.-- that can be a good indicator of skill as it applies to you.

As for rating surgeons, I rate my OS on my own outcome, not on his personality! It's a happy accident that he's easy to get along with.

I do hope that you will find a good resolution to your foot-- you deserve it! :) chris