1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

break in the 5th metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Big Wal, May 22, 2009.

1. Big Wal

Big Wal Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi Doc,

I broke my 5th metatarsal 6 weeks ago. I have just had the cast removed and the x-rays show a fibrous union where the break is. I read the answer you gave in a previous forum that this a common occurrence for this type of break (due the the ligament continually pulling on the broken segment of bone) and the fibrous union is usually satisfactory.

This is the case scenario that I have. My question is how strong is this fibrous union? I do a lot of power lifting and strong man competitions. This involves squatting 300+ kilos, pulling Fire Trucks etc. In due course will this union be strong enough to withstand such extremities of weight? I have asked the doctors involved in my treatment this question and was just told that I will have to see how I get on.

Any advice you can give on this matter from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Wal

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Sorry, but I've had no experience with patients who pull fire trucks. Perhaps you need to get you answer from a doctor who commonly treats extreme athletes.