1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

burning sensation on ball of foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by MtnHiker, May 9, 2011.

1. MtnHiker

MtnHiker Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I develop a burning sensation in the balls of both feet in any dress shoe after a couple hours of standing and minimal walking (such as attending a wedding, church service, concert, etc). The burning is much more intense even in sneakers, hiking boots, running shoes, and professionally fitted walking shoes. I can power walk about 3 miles before a slight tingling starts. By 4 miles, it is constant and gets more intense. I tend to curl my toes to lessen the pressure on the ball of the foot, but walking a half mile or so this way leads to pain in the toes while not really doing much for the burning sensation. By the end of five miles, I usually have a blister on one or both feet either on the joint under the big toe or in the fleshy pad under the 2nd and 3rd toes. I walked yesterday shortly after noon. The rest of the day I hobbled around. Today I still have a slight tingling sensation, but it will subside by this afternoon, if it goes as it normally does. I'll have to cut my walk to 3 miles for the next couple of days, then go back to the 5 miler for a day. This has been my routine for the past several years, but I need the 5 mile walk at least 4 times a week. This happens on paved and unpaved paths, as well as when using a treadmill. Thanks for any advice or suggestions, other than picking a different exercise routine. :)

where does it hurt -- balls of both feet
    how long has it hurt for -- since my teen years (35+ years)
    how bad is the pain -- at it's worse about an 8 out of 10
    what where you doing when it started -- power walking
    what have you done for it so far -- orthotics, 'special' socks, new shoes, powder, moleskin
    anything relieve it -- not walking for a day or so, or cutting the walk short
    what have you been told about it so far -- cortisone shot, orthotics
    is it affecting your ability to work or play sport -- yes
    do you have any other sorts of symptoms -- Plantar fasciitis
    what country you are in -- USA

2. MtnHiker

MtnHiker New Member

The 2nd sentence should read "The burning is much more intense in sneakers, hiking boots, running shoes, and professionally fitted walking shoes after walking 3 1/2 to 4 miles for exercise."