1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th metatarsal fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by sandrasmjb, Jul 26, 2009.

1. sandrasmjb

sandrasmjb Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I fractured my 5th metatarsal by standing on the foot when it was numb. Xray confirmed a small break off the bone. 1 week in non-weight bearing cast. Had fibreglass cast fitted Fri 24 July. Doc said only a small break so 3 wks in the cast and I should walk on it. Having real problems doing this - it is painful when I put weight on it. I don't think this is right. Can anybody advise please? I know there is a part physcological problem with putting full weight on the foot, but surely I should NOT do this if it gives pain??

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I honestly do not understand the rationale of posts such as yours. Medicine in general and PARTICULARLY the treatment of trauma is generally NOT "cook book." An evaluation is made and recommendations and treatment is based on that evaluation. You have sustained an injury and have selected a doctor to treat it. Ostensibly, that doctor has made his/her assessment of your situation and in his/her best medical judgment made recommendations. Whether these recommendation are correct or incorrect for your individual situation can only be appropriately asserted by a competent professional who possesses all of the facts necessary to so opine. Why in the world you would attempt to resolve the questions which trouble you about your care as recommended by the examining doctor whom you have chosen by soliciting information from those who you neither know nor who could possibly know the essential details to offer either a confirming or an opposing opinion? No doubt, you will take this as a chastising of you, and indeed you should, as more important than a shoot-from-the-hip comment on your care is educating you in the dangers inherent in what you are doing by attempting to obtain and possibly acting upon answers from those who do not have the facts necessary to offer them. If I have made that point to you, I have done my job. The rest is up to you. If you have reservations about the recommendations of your doctor, obtain a second opinion by hands-on evaluation from a well vetted doctor. Forums are no place to obtain specific information regarding especially time-sensitive individual care.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009