1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Masai Barefoot Technology (MBT) Shoes - Do they work?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Admin, Oct 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    These are the shoes that are supposed to help you exercise and give you a good workout while you walk around in them. Masai Barefoot Technology or MBT shoes are shoes that were inspired in their design by the barefoot Masai tribe from Africa. The shoes are made with a rocker bottom that is supposed to mimic that natural gait of walking barefoot exhibited by the Masai. The company do make a lot of claims for how beneficial these shoes are and the positive effects on posture and in those with postural problems. The evidence to support the claims made is not strong. So, do MBT shoes work? There some good research to suggest that they will probably do work in some groups of people with the postural problems and not in other groups. What is lacking is some good research to help guide clinicians as to which groups will benefit the most. The shoes are not cheap and people do not want to spend a lot of money to find out that the do not work.

2. bluedozzer

bluedozzer New Member

I have CTEV and my parents were told that after my surgeries and my casts removed and I nolonger needed braces that they should let me walk around bare foot as much as possible. Im 38 yrs old now and walking barefoot is, well lets just say its unbearable. A few years ago I was in KVRSC, a vocational rehabilitation center that helps people with disabilities. They sent me to a place in pittsburgh Ks called 'Styles Unlimited'. The Dr. there cast the bottoms of my feet from some sort of styrofoam imprinting system and made me some custom inserts for my shoes. The KVRCS paid nearly $2,000 for this to be done. Although they feel great they are also wearing thin. I recently filed for disability. I would love to beable to know what it feels like to walk barefoot again. I wander if there are any services to help someone in my position beable to afford the (MBT) shoes?

3. lauren

lauren New Member

I developed a bilateral Achilles tendons injury followed my brief use of MBT shoes. I used them according to the guidance in the DVD ( provided when I bought the shoes) and quickly developed swollen and distorted tendons.

This started in May 2010 and I am still crippled by the problem. I have had regular ultrasound treatment, sports massage, have taken loads of good quality natural anti-inflammatories and also used anti-inflammatory creams, all to no avail.

I have been a keen sport's person all my life and have always recovered very quickly from injuries but not this time. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.