1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

lapidus bunionectomy

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by momsue_2001, Dec 9, 2010.

1. momsue_2001

momsue_2001 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, I had a lapidus bunionectomy on my left foot 10 days ago. My question is, how long does the severe pain last. I have had very severe stabbing, burning pain around my incision and bottom of my foot. The Dr. said it was nerve endings. The incision looks clean with no infection. I do have some swelling but not to severe as I have had it elevated and iced pretty much of the day. I can only get around on a knee walker (thank God for that) as the crutches were just to clumsy for me to use. I have a very heavy boot to wear when I am not laying down, but find that so heavy I can hardly lift my foot. Is it better to have a cast put on? i feel rather vulnerable without it when I do have to go out to the Dr. office( I am afraid it will get bumped). I know I am suppose to be non weight bearing for about 6 weeks, I find that almost impossible, thats why I wonder if a cast would be better, so if I do put my foot down by accident it would be more protected. P.s..... I am still taking the pain meds every 6 hours as directed, but sometimes even a double dose does not put a dent on the pain. UGH :

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    MY question to YOU is why, only 10 days ago, you trusted a doctor to perform surgery on your foot and now you do not have enough confidence in him/her to answer your questions and provide the correct care for you. I can have no idea as to why you are having severe pains or whether or not it indicates anything radically wrong, but what sort of research did you do into the quality of your doctor BEFORE you agreed to surgery if you are looking for outside advice so soon after the procedure? Have you expressed your concerns to the doctor whom YOU chose and demanded a better answer than that your pain and burning was "nerve endings?" If you so quickly have lost confidence in him/her, perhaps another doctor should be contacted for a look-see and evaluation.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just did my Lapidus proc on jan 11,2012. I was sent home in a splint.ive been back to the doc 2xs for dressing
    change. I have not experience much severe pain. I was given hydrocodone(gen.for Vicodin). I took it a couple of times but then decided to just take ibuprofen.big mistake!! Ibuprofen is a blood thinner causing a hematoma. Thus causing pain.i now have to remove my splint intermittently to relieve the pressure. I, too,have been feeling a burning feeling around my incision. The burning just started about a day ago.i am due back to the docs tomorrow.i will be inquiring about the burning sensation. My doc has been very helpful and open to any concerns. He called me everyday for about 4days post op.he also gives his patients his personal cell phone# to insure immediate contact.