1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sudden severe pain without injury

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Pkillebr, May 12, 2010.

1. Pkillebr

Pkillebr New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello. About a week ago I noticed a little pain in my right foot but didn't really think much of it. The next day, it was a little worse and I was favoring it a bit and had a little bit of a limp. The pain got a little worse as the day went on and then that night, I remember waking up 5-6 times with foot pain. The next morning, my foot was in severe pain and I couldn't even touch the ground, much less put any weight on it. I had appendicitis a few years ago and I would say the pain in my foot that day was comparable.

That morning (Friday) I went to a doctor who took X-rays and confirmed there wasn't a break or sprain and said he thought it was an issue with falling arch. He gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory and recommended I see a podiatrist. The pain all day was nearly unbearable but the next morning, the swelling was down a bit (from medication, meloxicam I think) and I could walk with crutches. I went to see a podiatrist Monday morning and the pain and swelling was reduced enough that I could walk and drive myself.

The podiatrist said my feet were a little flat (though she thought the left, the one without any symptoms, may have been worse) and gave me a steroid injection (I assume cortisone plus anesthetic) in the top of my foot near the ankle and some shoe inserts and told me to come back in two weeks.

To describe the pain, it was located more on the top and inner side of the foot though it was hard to isolate the location because the swelling made the pain radiate to most of the foot. It was worse if I bent or twisted my foot.

The pain was essentially gone yesterday, the day after the injection, but it started getting a little tender in the evening and is a little tender again today. I've been trying to do research on what the problem is, what caused the pain, and whether or not I should be concerned that I will have a repeat of the morning where the pain was so severe that I couldn't function.

Sorry for such a long post. I guess my question is whether anyone else has experienced anything like this or if anyone knows what it could be. I've never had a problem with my feet before and I didn't injur myself and it's strange that I would have no symptoms one day then 48 hours later be in such severe pain.

Also, I'm a 24 year old male with no significant health issues in the past. I have a large build and slightly overweight but not obese and have had no significant weight changes in the last few years.

Thanks for any help :)

2. Pkillebr

Pkillebr New Member

Anyone have any ideas or a similar experience?

3. ed86

ed86 New Member

I also want to know the reason as sudden foot pain happened to my 26 years old brother. He got a bit overweight.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

you have a herniated disc in your l4/l5 lower spine

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

are you a chiropractor ? need help.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am having the same problem. Went back to the gym after a layoff. I did some sprints and some tough exercises on a balancing ball but didn't notice any pain right after. The next day I had the same kind of sharp pain and it has persisted for a week and I find myself walking on the outer side of my foot. I have to walk my dog every day. Years ago I had an auto-immune attack and my feet swelled like footballs, the extreme pain reminds me of that. There is no noticeable swelling but a knob or bone that is the center of the pain (when I press one it) yow! And then it radiates outward. I am seeing my internest on Wed and hopefully get some help but I kind of doubt it. I have to fly on Saturday and want to make sure it's not a blood clot. I will let you know what he suggests. M

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This is exactly what I'm experiencing now!!! I don't understand what is wrong though?? How were you treated for this! Email me please ciarra_kelly@yahoo.com

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Have you considered the idea that this may be gout? This is how my gout presents. And its possibly the worst pain i've ever felt.

9. conniesb1

conniesb1 Guest

I have the same thing happening. Sudden pain, red inflamed, slight fever, swollen ankle, no injury, could not stand weight on my foot and they had to get me a wheel chair. Went to urgent care, xrays showed nothing, tested me for gout, ra and lupus and all came back negative. Pain has eased up but still swollen and red afraid the pain is going to come back when I run out of medicine. They said they do not know what it can be.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm currently going through the same thing. I went to sleep last night with slight pain in my ankle (inner side) and when I woke up it hurts to walk, sit , stand, anything. And best of all, I had no slight bit of injury to it

11. OrangeAugust

OrangeAugust New Member

A few months ago I had ankle pain (the outer side) and swelling that came out of nowhere with no injury. I wouldn't say it was "severe", but it got bad enough that I was limping around and had to put ice on it. My doctor advised me to ice it and take an anti-inflammatory and then see her again in 2 weeks. Two weeks later when I had my follow-up appointment, there had been no pain in the ankle since a few days after the first time I'd gone to see her about it, but it was still swollen on an off ever since then, and was never totally without swelling. She was puzzled but then she looked at my feet and told me I have flat feet and sent me to a Podiatrist. The Podiatrist told me I have extremely flat feet and ordered custom-made inserts for my shoes. I've been wearing them for about 5 days now, and they've made a huge difference. By the second day my ankle wasn't swollen at all anymore, and my foot isn't sore when I take my first few steps when I get out of bed in the morning. I'm surprised your doctor didn't suggest orthopedic inserts if you have fallen arches. Try to bring it up to your doctor. Custom-made inserts are expensive but your doctor may have something you could try temporarily to see if it gives you any relief.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same pain in my left foot it's been there over a year. Doctors don't know what is causing the pain. When I stand for more then 10 minutes it starts to hurt then when I walk it's more painful.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

For about a week I have had severe pain on top of my left foot.
    Just wondered what your outcome was.
    No injury, can't think of anything that happened to make it sore.
    It is most painful when I put my weight on it, I'm walking slower, tight shoes help, but don't stop the pain. It feels good to message it.
    Now my calf muscle is starting to feel strained, but I think that is from favoring the foot and walking odd.

Thanks,
    Yvonne

I'm not registered, please feel odd emailing me.
    heluvascooter@gmail.com

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am having the same problem in my left foot, Unfortunately I have no answers, I am stunned and baffeled as you are, one night I go to bed everything is fine the time I get up to go pee I cant put any weight on my foot. I am crying because it hurts so much just to take myself to the bathroom. The pain is on and off, mostly at night..it keeps me awake. The only injuries I have had the ...was a broken ankle from many years ago and two or two and half weeks ago I stubbed my to on the stairs so bad the big toe turned blue, however I have no problems with the big toe I just have this problem in my foot now that I cannot walk without assistance, I am not over weight, I am generaly healthy so I would like so much to hear if some has answers???

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have same issue and it has move from right to Left foot, no idea what is the problem i have flat foot and using insert already.
    sound like need to change shoes, foot been in ice bath all morning

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow to see what's going on.. I was carrying some cokes up the stairs and my ankle started hurting all of a sudden.. I don't think I misstepped it was just out of nowhere. The pain has gotten very bad over the vast 3 days, mostly around the heel area and top of foot especially when I'm driving or going upstairs. A friend has suggested plantar fasciitis which seems pretty dead on according to the Internet.. This could be a possible cause.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I woke up with pain in my right inner ankle yesterday. It is an ongoing nagging pain. I've not injured it that I can think of anyway and I've been icing and taking ibuprofen. I've been wearing an ankle support and it still aches. It is very tender to the touch in the inner area of my foot just below and in front of my ankle. Any idea on the average length of time before this will go away?

18. talfighel

talfighel New Member

Maybe you twisted it while you were sleeping and you didn't even know it.

Keep icing it for a few more days and if the paid does not go away, maybe you should see a doctor.

19. Bishop

Bishop New Member

Do not ignore the quoted post.
    The herniated disc may be the correct answer.

Have had similar pain for years in a knee from discs ... docs never believe it is the discs. I know better from experience. After recommendation of knee surgery which I declined, I have learned to control it with back exercises and an inversion machine. 3 lower discs are herniated. It comes and goes depending on activity and laziness on my part :)

Last week at 4am, total top of left foot raked with pain for no reason, from near front of ankle to toes. Couldn't even arc my toes. No chance of walking on it.

After a day, got back on the inversion table.
    Each session eased the pain and right now almost completely gone and will go for a walk to test it out.

20. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

If your ankle is paining a lot and you are not able to walk properly you get X-rays. Because it might be some internal injury.