1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th metatarsal break - cast type

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    i broke my 5th metatarsal bone on my left foot about 2 weeks ago.. i have to go back to the doctors in a weeks time to review my foot.. they gave me crutches, a cast which i'm realllly not sure what type, and a black velcro boot..
    the cast is plastic, bright pink, non-removable and it looked like when they put it on a tape being wrapped around my leg with plastic mesh type stuff?
    ok so i wasn't aware of what the doctor suggest whether to actually walk with this cast or not. but i have been, i have been out loads because to be honest it's driving me crazy being able to do nothing. i'm not much pain atall but after acouple of nights out the next day there will be bruising on my middle toes appearing (from what i can see where the cast isn't covering) and alittle pain.
    i start uni in 3 weeks, really don't want the cast on for it! my question mainly is is this type of cast ok to be walking on.. i don't use the little black boot they gave me with the cast but i just try to apply pressure at the heal.. thank you!

oh and yes foot doctor i am aware there is not a one-answer-fits-all handbook from your previous answers, however some advice would be handy!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I would have to think that any responsible doctor would have given instructions as to whether or not, if and/or when weight-bearing was to be allowed, and any reasonable patient, having not been supplied with that information would have immediately asked the doctor, especially if both crutches and a shoe were dispensed. But REALLY folks don't you and your doctors have telephones . . a modern device, according to my understanding and belief, which allows for direct remote conversations between two or more parties and which is a much better way for obtaining information than from posting on the Internet to a third unknown party who has neither the knowledge of the case nor responsibility to the patient. The question at hand should not be whether it is POSSIBLE to walk on such a cast, but whether it is prudent based on the medical situation to do so. That, my dear questioner, is the purview of the attending doctor, and if you desire optimum results, methinks it would be best not to rely in any fashion on a decision made by someone who does not know you or your case. Not only is there not a one-answer-fits-all handbook, but any advice other than that which I just gave you would be highly inappropriate coming from a doctor who does not have any details of your case. Do you need your doc's phone number?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

ok mr foot doctor..so what advice do you give hey? if you have binned off almost every single answer ive read with 'get the advice from your doctor' then ive got an answer for you.. NONE.
    your an absolute joke! it's funny because i can imagine you to be a ugly, fat, smelly old man with nothing better to do than mediate these forums. hilarious actually, get a real job you ****ing sad tosser!!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

In response to the person who wrote the post below.......your the clear joke here. It is evident that your never going to get a job since you can't even use capital letters at the beginning of sentences, spell, or use grammar or punctuation correctly. Not only that, your communication and argumentative skills are pathetic. Your second sentence doesn't even make sense. To make things worse, you clearly can't be bothered about your health since you A) Didn't listen to your own doctors advice B) Just decided to walk around on your fibreglass cast regardless and C) Believed someone who doesn't even know your case would be a better place to get this advice from.
    Get a life and stop taking out your own angst about your messed up foot on someone you don't know on the internet.

ok mr foot doctor..so what advice do you give hey? if you have binned off almost every single answer ive read with 'get the advice from your doctor' then ive got an answer for you.. NONE.
    your an absolute joke! it's funny because i can imagine you to be a ugly, fat, smelly old man with nothing better to do than mediate these forums. hilarious actually, get a real job you ****ing sad tosser!!

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Oh yeah, and how on EARTH did you get into University? Exams clearly getting easier these days.