1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

loose injured toenail

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by PennyBoo, Feb 22, 2010.

1. PennyBoo

PennyBoo Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My 10 year old son played a baseball game today in a brand new pair of cleats. After the game, he said that he felt like the shoes were a little too narrow for him. Tonight, as he was undressing to enter the shower, he noticed that the toenail on his pinky toe is loose. The nail is attached on one side and halfway across the bottom, but detached on the other half and side. The toe and nail are not at all discolored. His toe hurts when he touches it or puts pressure on it. I put a band aid on the toe to try to hold the nail down. Is it possible for the nail to be saved? Do I need to take him to a Doctor immediately or should I wait a little while to see how it progresses? Also, does he need to see a Podiatrist, or should I take him to see his Pediatrician?

Thanks so much... I apreciate any advice you can share with me in advance.

2. MML

MML New Member

I would think you'd want to go to a podiatrist to see about the nail. If it just hangs there, it could get caught on something and rip off and that would probably be painful for your son. Good luck.

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

First of all, get him a pair of shoes that fit his foot properly. Actually, shoes that are too long or wide and which allow the foot to slide in the shoe and cause the nail to continually bump against the upper during sudden stops like a passenger in an automobile who is not wearing a seat belt. are probably more likely to cause such problem, but I suppose shoe which are too narrow could also. In any event, the etiology of the injury is more than likely the forcing of the toenail against the shoe during running and stopping. It's impossible to say, probably even with an examination, whether he merely loosened the nail through the trauma or whether the toe will grow normal nail again, but 5th toe nails commonly are deformed from the constant irritation of a shoe. Taping it down was a good idea, not because it will necessarily encourage the nail to reattach to the nail bed . . which it probably will not, as the nail is held to the nail bed by a layer of cells known as the hyponychium, which, once breached, often does not reattach or reattaches abnormally, but to prevent a traumatic avulsion which could be both painful and, more importantly open the toe to infection. If the nail is merely detached and loose and you are capable of doing it safely, the loose areas could probably be carefully trimmed down just like any toe nail and allowed to grow to see what happens. But if you are not capable of doing this safely or there are complications, such as an irritated or traumatized or punctured nail bed, or if there is any doubt, he should see a podiatrist for evaluation and treatment.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Please take note. The follow disclaim should have preceded the above post
    DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.

5. PennyBoo

PennyBoo Guest

Thank you so much for your response. I spoke with his pediatrician this afternoon, and she told me pretty much the same thing. Also, I've been giving him Motrin for the pain, as needed.