1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Removing Screw From 5th Metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by keeponkickin, Jul 7, 2010.

1. keeponkickin

keeponkickin New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello. I broke my right 5th metatarsal about 12 years ago. The past year I have been having severe pain in my foot right where the fracture was. I went to a doctor who recommended that the large screw be removed. Is this common? Will this make the pain go away? The pain is horrible and I want to walk pain free again. Thank you for any advice.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Screws CAN cause problems, but unless there is prominence of the head, resorption of bone, loosing of the screw, infection or some other sort of overt indication that the screw is cause of your pain, it sounds like your doctor has made an empiric decision that the screws needs removal. If the guess is correct, removing it may resolve your problem, but the screw might be incidental to your problem. Ask your doctor precisely what he/she suspects the screw is doing to cause your problem. At any rate, a screw which has been left in a healed fracture is no longer serving any purpose, so the only general down-side of removing it is the potential for problems which exists any time a surgery is performed. Such screws are generally left in place only because they generally do not create problems when left there.