1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sudden pain and swelling by my big toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have no idea what I did to my toe/foot, but boy does it hurt! I was sitting at work yesterday and I noticed my foot hurt, it felt like my shoes were squeezing it too much. Which was weird since the shoes are "sensible" loafer type and I didn't remember doing anything too it. It hurts at the base of my big toe, where it connects to my foot around where you'd see a bunion but on the top of my foot.

By the time I got home I was really limping. The area is swollen, sore to the touch and just aches. I can't really bring my toe up, but pointing them doesn't seem to hurt near as much. I have no idea what I did, or if it's bad enough to go see a doc. I keep telling my husband that I broke my foot sitting at my desk at work.

Any ideas?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I should also mention that I am a 38 year old female, who is active, not overweight, pre-menopausal. I don't have diabetes, I'm not hypertensive either. I don't really drink, or eat too much meat. I haven't been on any crash diets lately either.

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Not much to go on. Rule out acute gout. Rule out spider or insect bite.

4. I woke up with exactly the same thing yesterday morning. It started as a bit of an ache and within a few hours became too unbearable to walk on. It's slightly swollen and extremely painful to the touch.
    Everyone keeps telling me to go to the hospital too, but I really don't know if it's worth sitting around there for the better part of a day, if it might heal itself. Especially as I must have done it in my sleep..

How did you handle yours in the end?

5. alrh01

alrh01 Guest

OMG! Is this something that is common in women? I am experiencing the same thing as we speak. I woke up one morning and my big toe was swollen, in pain, stiff, and it hurts to wear a shoe. I went to the doctor in the pass because it happen in my right foot and was told it was not gout. The doctors couldn't really do too much of nothing. I took some advil for a couple of days and then it went a way, but now I'm having it in my left foot and advil is just not doing it this time. I'm 38, I'm not over weight, I'm active, and not too big on salty foods or meat. I don't understand. If someone have any idea what this could be PLEASE help.

6. BarkingDogs

BarkingDogs Guest

Was googling to try to find a solution to this same problem. I am also female, 43, fit and active. I have a painful left foot and, while soaking my feet in epsom salts, I realized that my left foot is quite puffy between first and second toe on the top of the foot. Just throbs and very sore. I have no idea what has caused this as I wore sensible shoes with a wide toe box all day.

7. Honeymoon

Honeymoon Guest

Too wierd...only I'm 44, female, also fit and no medical conditions. Woke up in the middle of the night with pain so severe it feels like it is broken between the big toe and joint where my foot connects. It's 4am and I thought I would go online to see if there was any information. I guess I will check on the gout possibility.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Did anyone find out what was the cause of the pain? I am having the same thing happen to me. I'm 23 female and for the most part healthy. I had this same pain about 2months ago but on my left toe. All I did was take antibiotic medicine that was prescribed to me a few weeks before the pain for a wisdom tooth I had pulled out. But this morning around 4am I woke up with so much pain on my right toe. I started to notice is last night though and took tylenol.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 28 year old woman and am having the same issues. I woke up one morning thinking, "Man, what did I do to my toe in my sleep?" It feels as if my 3rd toe is jammed. I've tried pulling it, twisting it, everything I can think of. It's been painful for almost a week now. The pain seems to be increasing with everyday. It's also swollen, but not bruised or red. Luckily I am able to wear shoes easily b/c it's my 3rd toe and not my big toe. Would love to know what's going on!!!

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

well i am a 42 year old male same thing i woke up around 3 or 4 am my big toe on my left foot was hurting it has been like this all xmas day it is in my big toe half way up at the knuckle i have no idea what it is. but if you put presure on the area it does hurt 10 out of 10 pain factor. the rest of the time it just throbs.it is also swollan.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Most useless thread ever! Not even close to an answer or solution...everyone just posting about their same exact problem. Just go to your Dr.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hilarious . I am 43 female. This started for me Xmas. It is unbearable swollen at the joint where my big toe connects and is warm to the touch. The pad under my toes is also swollen. I'd be surprised if this is gout. Maybe tendinitis? Will make doc appt. Alleve is not helping at all.

13. zze94

zze94 Guest

I am 18 male, my big toe of my left foot is having that same problem. It was a little bit in the morning and then it gradually increased causing me to not being able to walk properly. And now it's more than 14 hours and it has swollen and is paining like hell no matter what i do or whatever position i keep it in. The pain just seems to keep increasing and i am literally limping now. Need a solution, got an exam in about 4 hours and the pain is not even letting me get some sleep.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I agree that this has become a waste of thread space. We get it that everyone has the same problem. That is why you are here looking at this thread for an answer. If you don't have the answer, nobody cares if you have the same problem!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Argh I'm a 31 year old woman and I have the same thing.
    I had it first 5 years ago on my right toe, I thought it was gouth, the pain and swelling went away after 2 + weeks. ( the pain was intense )
    Then about 2 years ago I had it again. I went to the doctors ASAP & they said it was a bone injury ( similar to ones footballers get) I have never played football lol.
    But they gave me some anti inflammatory tablets & it went the next day.
    I have it again now.
    It does actually feel like it's broken, I've forgotten how painfull it is.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Same problem here. I was on a raw vegan diet until one day i was invited to a BBQ and ate meat. The next day i started noticing my big toe is kinda sore, like i hit it somewhere but i didnt so i ignored it, thought the pain would just go away tomorrow. The next day it started to ache even more and half ma foot was swollen so i did some research and founf out it was definetly GOUT. Gout occurs when uric acid builds up in blood and causes joint inflammation and this uric accid is found in meat which i'm never ever having again!

17. Cfbrenton1

Cfbrenton1 New Member

Many of these symptoms sound like gout to me.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It's the same with me it really hurts and it's really red and swollen
    I have had it for about 4 days now
    What do u think I should do ???

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm only 17 and female and I just started having the toe problem, I click my big toe alot and it sometimes feels like it needs a click and then the pain goes away but i had the pain all of yesterday and today it feels all stiff and its a bit purple and swallon and it really hurts to walk, i'm going to the doctor on Friday so i'll let you know!

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

well as i posted before i had the same condition and it was gout. i drank lots of fluids so it went away in about 4 or 5 days and you can find online all the food you can or cant eat after you've had gout, mosty meat is forbiden