1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Big Toe Pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I work as a cashier about 20-28 hours per week so I am on my feet quite a bit. Yesterday after work, I took my shoes off and immediately noticed pain in my right big toe when I walked. The lower back part of the toe (where it bends) was very sensitive to touch. Today the pain is worse and the toe is slightly swollen in the lower region and feels warm. I cannot bend the toe. The pain is constant whether on my feet or not (throbbing/slight burning), but it is not excruciating or prohibiting me from functioning normally. I just walk on the outside of my foot. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow afternoon. I am scheduled to work the following day and I'm very concerned about what is causing this and whether I'll be able to stand on the sore area for 6-8 hours. I have never had foot problems in the past. Could this be the early onset of gout?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

More Big Toe Pain!

Thought I'd add to my original post:

It is now the middle of the night and I can't sleep. The pain and swelling in my toe has increased and it even bothers me to have the bedsheet brush against it. Walking on the edge of my foot is more difficult now because the vibrations irritate the toe. This is an awful feeling!

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Gout might be a consideration, but as you are going to see your doctor today, it seems useless to fill your head with expectations which can be ruled in or out in just a few hours. After you see your doctor, post again and offer his/her impressions.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for your reply. I saw the doctor this morning. She's says it's gout, although no tests were done. After seeing how inflamed my toe (joint) was today, she didn't want to hurt me more by sticking a needle into it. She prescribed indomethacin and plans to test my uric acid levels after the gout subsides. As of right now, I can't walk on the foot.

This is very painful. I do not know of anyone else in my family ever having gout, I consume very little alcohol, and I don't consume an over-abundance of rich foods. I am 46 and have hormone and thyroid issues (had a thyroidectomy 3 years ago), but doubt it has any correlation. I am a little overweight (10-15 lbs) and if it will help prevent future attacks in any way, I'll certainly make the effort to lose it.

Several times in the past couple of weeks I felt as though I was developing a urinary tract infection, with burning in my lower abdomen, but the sensation went away after a few hours, so I never called my doctor. Thought I'd mention it in case the timing of it could be related in any way. In the meantime, I'll wait patiently for this to subside and hope it never comes back!

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Thank you for your follow-up post. Having now read your latest description and your mentioning both inflammation (rather than slight swelling) and severe pain (rather than non-excruciating pain) the diagnosis of gout is far more of a no-brainer, though I think that I would have preferred to give you a quick local anesthetic block and aspirate some fluid from the joint, as the microscopic finding of monosodium urate crystals in the fluid would be a cincher, while findings of blood uric acid level can be of uncertain diagnostic value. The bed-sheet contact pain comment is demonstrative of a classic symptom. Of course, bacterial infection is always a reasonable consideration with such symptoms and must be ruled out. I believe that too much is made of gout being associated with certain types of food, and it is even commonly precipitated simply from the use of diuretics. A confirmed diagnosis is important, as the treatment you have been given is palliative, and it may be that you will eventually need definitive treatment for prevention of attacks rather than just treatment when they occur. I am of the opinion that, as gout is a systemic condition, in contrast to its valid podiatric treatment in the acute stages, ongoing preventive treatment should be under the care of a general medical doctor rather than a podiatrist. True gout is an inborn error of metabolism, and technically out of the purview of a podiatrist for its management and preventative treatment. I have found indomethacin an effective treatment for the acute stages of gout, but I never prescribe more than a 5 day supply for my patients, caution them about GI irritation and often prescribe concomitant medication intended to ally such side effects.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: More Big Toe Pain!

What sort of diet you are having daily..? It would matters on your health part. Hope you would recover soon...! Take care.