1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Post-Op Ingrown Toenail Surgery Question

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by kellysmum, Sep 26, 2009.

1. kellysmum

kellysmum Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,

I am a 44 year old female. After suffering for weeks with an ingrown toenail on my big toe of my right foot, I finally had part of the nail removed last Tuesday. The procedure went fine. I am to change the dressing once a day, applying Amerigel and gauze secured with a Band Aid. I was in great pain my first two days, but am better now. I still need to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen for the pain twice a day. I am fine as long as I don't wear shoes. Two days after the surgery, I developed a low fever, which is still present. It never goes below 99.3 or above 100.3 degrees. The wound site looks fine; no pus or blood. Should I be taking antibiotics for my fever? Or is it unrelated to the toenail surgery?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If there is no indication of infection at the operative site, any decision as to whether your mild temperature elevation requires any medical attention would likely be outside of the purview of a podiatrist. However, as an aside to comment on what you have offered, in my practice I routinely recommend the use of PLAIN sterile gauze pads rather than bandaids in areas where there is expected to be drainage in order to reduce the possibility of tissue maceration, but any changes in your doctor's directions should be okayed by him/her.

3. kellysmum

kellysmum Guest

Thank you for the reply. Have you ever heard of this Amerigel stuff? Should I be using something like Neosporin instead?

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I have never used Amerigel. It is promoted for use as a tissue healer and anti-infective, but from the ingredients, a couple of herbal products and zinc acetate, I have no idea how or why or if it works. I did find an article speaking favorably of it. Some products are promoted to and seem to catch on with various specialties for reasons which I often fail to understand, and this may be one such case.
    http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/8909
    Frankly, I generally advise nothing but soaks for my nail surgery patient unless they develop a problem, but every doctor has his own protocols and procedures.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009