1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sever's disease and running

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by diamondsonblackvelvet13, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello everyone! I am glad I stumbled on this. My son is 11 and growing rapidly. He comes from a family of VERY tall folks..my brothers and dad were all 6 foot and over. His daddy is pretty tall too. He has been dx'd with Sever's and given the stretching instructions and the orthotics. We are doing all of that.

What I am wondering and cannot seem to find an answer for, despite searching the net for 2 hours, is: can Sever's disease affect his running? He seems to shuffle..but not quite. The only thing I can think to relate it to is a rock skimming over the water. Like he runs on his heels I think. At any rate, this affects him in gym and recess at school and causes him grief among his peers.

If it is related to the Sever's then I will help deal with it until it passes. Otherwise, I would like to be able to help him.

Any advice is DEEPLY appreciated!

Thanks so much!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Sever's disease is painful. So of COURSE it's going to affect running (something that he shouldn't be doing anyhow until the condition is pain free and then some). But whether or not your specific complaint about his running is related to the Sever's or would be evident anyhow can only be determined by examination. Why don't you consult the doctor who made the diagnosis and is treating him for Sever's.

3. He shouldn't be running? The doctor never mentioned that. My son doesn't mention it being painful all the time...just times that he has been very active...duh huh? Hmmm, I'll call the doctor and ask him. Thank you!

PS Will the running issue resolve once the Sever's heals? Do you think he'll be able to run normally?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I offer information which is of a general nature and is not intended to be targeted to any individual case. I have no idea as to whether any specific running issues are singularly a result of your son's Sever's disease, but I have to wonder about either the diagnosis or the treatment advice he has received if rest was not a primary dictum . . and running is certainly not rest.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 15 years old and I feel the same thing what your son is feeling, sometimes the heel hurts and sometimes it doesn't. I tend to tip toe while running. I have been resting it a lot but it is not helping much. I heard about this medicine called OSCON i heard it will work for my severs disease I am going to try it. I am just sick and tired of this I am only ''52'' and in the 10th percentile. This is a big problem will this medicine work?