1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

removal of tumor

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by cyn, Jun 17, 2008.

1. cyn

cyn Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am having surgery in a couple weeks on my big toe. The doctors who have examined my toe say that it is either subungual exostosis or the osteochondroma. We are trying the less aggressive method of treatment, which I believe is just the excision of subungual exostosis. I'm of course nervous if this has to be done. How long is the recovery period in such treatment, will I be able to take me son swimming this suumer?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I am puzzled on a couple of levels. First, what is the alternative and more aggressive procedure which was considered? Unless a biopsy is deemed necessary, removal of a small subungual exostoses is one of the very few procedure for which I feel that osteotrypse (minimal incisional bone burring) is appropriate. Such a procedure is generally performed as an office ambulatory surgery, most often requiring a minimal amount of down time post-operatively. But even an open exostectomy is not generally much of a big deal as far as post-operative disability goes. But my real concern is that you have apparently agreed to a surgery, obviously without having discussed the basic particulars with the doctor whom you have chosen to perform the procedure, or you lack confidence in his/her response, which, in my opinion, speaks poorly for your choice of letting him/her operate.

3. cyn

cyn Guest

Thank you for your response. I trust the Doctor, I think I'm just apprehensive about the surgery. I had a concern too, because I am nursing my 6 month old and was worried how the anestetics and post-surgery pain medicene would effect her. I have talked with the doctor doing surgery, her peditrician, and a breastfeeding consultant.. so I know what I need to do and what to expect on that end.

The other choice he said was doing a distal symes procedure. I know the excision has to be done, I have been told that by two podiatrist and my PCP. I am, as I mentioned, just apprehensive. I have discussed the procedure, and am aware of most of the particulars, I was just not clear on how long it would be till I could get it wet. Thank you so much for your response.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Under normal circumstances, for removal of a subungual exostosis of a great toe, I would not generally suggest a terminal Symes. Unless there are some unusual particulars of which I am not aware, in my opinion, such a procedure would likely be both over-kill and result in unnecessary functional loss as well as a poor cosmetic result. But I not only find it difficult to understand why a simple matter such as this required the assessment and opinions of 3 doctors, but am even more puzzled as to why, after all that consultation, you are unclear as to how long it should be until you can get the area wet or why your primary, and, especially as you state that you trust the doctor, your ONLY source for that answer was not that trusted doctor whom you have chosen to operate and ostensibly would know both your individual situation and exactly what is going to be done.