1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Possible causes of my foot pain.

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by buck50, Apr 16, 2009.

1. buck50

buck50 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    First off... I am not looking for a diagnosis...just a place to start. I do not have insurance so I would like to be a little surer there is a major or potentially major problem before I spend money I don’t have on a doctor telling me to take some Ibuprofen

I have for three weeks now had a pain in my right foot on the outside between my ankle and base of my little toe. (5th metatarsal area from what I can gather) The pain is not too bad when I am wearing a shoe (except if I pivot on it)....But if I take off my shoe.....whoa buddy does it ever hurt to the point that I can barely walk. It also seems to hurt more first thing in the morning.

I cannot recall any major event that would have caused it and the only change in my routine is that I have been playing b-ball at lunch twice a week for about 4 months. It does not bother me much when I play (except when pivoting) but again when I remove my shoe the pain is intense.

Any guidance on a brace that could help or POSSIBLE problems that it could be would help a ton.

Thanks

OH yeah...there is no bruising and minimal if any swelling..

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Although I have no real basis for connecting your symptoms to either of these, in my experience, the two most common situations when patients complain of pain in the general area of the foot of which I infer you are speaking are problems associated with the protruding styloid process at the lateral base of the fifth metatarsal and problems with the Sural nerve which courses in the same general area. That being said, it would generally be unusual that either situation would become more problematic without rather than with shoes on. Any definitive solutions or even guesses at what might be done to help your problem would be contingent on an actual diagnosis and would be unwarranted and inappropriate for blind guesses. I would highly recommend that you cough up some money and see a doctor for at least the answers which you request here.

3. sanjidcb

sanjidcb New Member

I'm sorry you having so much pain and discomfort! it sounds like you should still seek medical advice, as swelling, discoloration, pain and mobility problems can indicate many conditions.

How old are you? Could you have arthritis? Do you think you may have torn a ligament & any other injury you can think of?

Here are some other foot-pain symptoms that you can discuss with your doctor. (For example, you mentioned you were "unable to go down stairs"...was this from being unable to bear weight on one side, stiff knee, muscle spasms, etc?).

Did you experience any of the following (foot/knee was...)
    - warm to touch
    - tender to touch
    - unable to bear weight
    - stiff/decreased movement
    - numbness/tingling
    - stabbing pain
    - muscle cramps/spasm
    - lumps or bulges
    - cold feet

4. buck50

buck50 New Member

I am 29 and have been fairly active most my life. I do a lot of hiking, walking and other activities.

It doesn't really hurt to the touch unless I put pressure. To just sit in the chair I feel pain but not unbearable. Mostly when pressure is applied. (this is why stairs are difficult.)

It has gotten gradually worse so I have made an appointment and will be going today to the Doc.

Thanks For the responses.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have the same problem. i will go to work and my foot will b fine. but when i take off my trainers and rest my foot a lump will come up on the side of my foot and i seem to get pain.
    please let me know if you find out the problem to your foot