1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Shifting of the toe fat pad

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Cari, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Cari

Cari Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, I have an interesting foot problem that I'm not sure how to fix. Basically my second toe is longer than my big toe and I have high arches. Because of my high arches I tend to put the most pressure on the insides of my feet when I walk. The problem is that because of this, the fat pad on my second toe on one of my feet has shifted off to the side, so now whenever I put any pressure on my foot the fat pad juts over to the side and touches the toe next to it (my 3rd toe) and it's quite uncomfortable.

So I've been trying to train the fat pad back in the right spot. I tried a tight-fitting bandaid, which didn't seem to help. Then I tried using a popsicle stick taped to the side of my toe to keep the fat pad in place. It work as long as the stick is taped there but the second I take it off the fat pad shifts to the side again. I'm looking for a solution that will be permanent. Any suggestions?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

No suggestions?

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

=======================
    Speaking for myself, I had no suggestion because I don't take as fact the cause and effect conclusions drawn and offered by the poster, starting from her incorrect notion that those with high arches put most pressure on the inside of the feet. The fact is that those with high arched feet generally place excessive pressure on the outside, not the inside of the feet. Without an examination, I don't know what might be causing the fat pad shift, if, in fact, there is one, and therefore I can offer no knowledged-based opinion on the matter.

4. SuperNanaX3

SuperNanaX3 Guest

Doctor Oz and the TV Doctors show had a woman who's second toe was longer than the big toe. She had all sorts of foot pain, discomfort and had difficulty finding shoes. So an orthopedic doctor shortened her second toe and solved the problem. Hope this solution helps. This fat food pad problem is probably caused the misalignment of the bones created by biomechanical movement of the bones, muscles, tendons and the type of shoe. The second toe creates an imbalance in the movement of the foot and too much pressure on the bones of the toes and foot.

Marina

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've been wondering what to call this "shifting of the toe fat pad". Thanks. I am planning a trip to podiatrist for similar problem. It seems I step on my toe fat pads from one toe with another toe. It creates a soft callous on the plantar surface of the toes. I stay on top of sanding down callouses, and pretty much have no callouses on my feet except the ones on the toe fat pads. The callouses come up so quickly though...I work 12 hour shifts and so for at least 14 hours, I am on my feet. I can start off with no callouses and after one 12 hour shift have a painful situation. I have RA and often have problems with the tendons in my feet and in my ankles. I am wondering if the whole issue is from compensating during those times of inflammation. It seems the way my foot strikes the ground, is forever changed. My feet are actually pretty nice looking, but I have noticed that the toes are starting to lean laterally toward the pinkie toes. For the last few months, I developed numbness to the medial aspect of my great toe. I assumed it was probably L4 problem, but tonight I held the great toe in alignment with the medial aspect of my foot and it seemed less uncomfortable. I have spent a fortune in shoes, wool socks, yoga toes, etc to try to remedy this. I would be curious to know of effective interventions.