1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Air Boot Tip

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by crystaluk, May 31, 2013.

1. crystaluk

crystaluk New Member

Well here I am finally, week 10 from big toe fusion. Short cast is off and fitted with a air boot for 4 more weeks then in a trainer. Can't tell you the feeling of freedom I felt being able to walk again after weeks of NWB.
    At the end of the first day I took it off for a well deserved soak to get the peeling skin off. I noticed scratch marks where the boot had scratched the soft skin at the junction of the ankle to foot and it was oozing clear fluid even though the boot is padded....Almost like a blister that had burst. Wanting to protect from further damage to the skin and prevent any infections from broken skin I had a brain storm. Bubble wrap!!!
    After putting on the sock given to me at the doctors office for the boot I cut a small section of large cell bubble wrap to fit the area and laid it over the sock, then the applied the boot as usual. (plastic over sock not the skin...skin contact would make it sweat and that would invite infection to set up housekeeping)....Instant relief and protection from any possible friction that might occur.
    Next day my heel was sore from walking on it so I cut out a small circle to fit the heel area. Instant cushion support for a sore heel.
    The boot does have heaps of cushion in all areas and its air bags but I have found a little extra support and protection from bubble wrap in sensitive areas go a long way so I can walk and build up muscles again....sooooo sore even at day three. The thighs and hip are the worst but only exercise will make that go away. I found quickly the longer I lounge around the sorer the muscles get so if I have my foot up for swelling (which can be massive) I make myself get up every hour and have a short stroll then put it back up for another hour till if goes down.
    The doctor said I could walk barefooted to the bathroom and such but be very careful. Its hard when swollen but if I manage the swelling its not so bad.
    And thank goodness I don't have to wear it to bed. I am afraid my husband will kick it during the night, so I found a soft pillow that buries it so he can't possible get to it and I sleep on my side back to him....still can't stand the weight of the heavy duvet on it, so on my side is the most comfy.
    Can't wait to get into a trainer now....whoop!! But as bad as it swells now during time on it...can't see a trainer staying on all day...but time will tell....almost there...solve that problem when I get to it.
    But I did want to pass on the bubble wrap tip for anyone wearing the boot....