1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Calf pain when walking

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by JJBean, Jun 27, 2009.

1. JJBean

JJBean Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi - Hoping for some advice. I'm trying to start a walking regiment but get excruciating pain on the outside of my calves about 15 minutes into a walk. My calves become rock hard as well. I am admittedly out of shape and about 70 pounds overweight (the whole reason I'm trying to do more walking). I did examine the souls of my sneakers and noticed the outer edge is worn away while the inner edge looks nearly new so I now understand I under pronate or supinate. I bought orthotics designed for these after a visit to The Walking Store and still I had pain on my walk. I can deal with muscle pain and soreness from starting to exercise but this is beyond that. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you very much.

2. JJBean

JJBean Guest

Just wanted to add - my calves do not swell, there is no redness and this has been an ongoing problem, not a new occurance.

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Don't fool around with calf pain. Although it may be of benign and mechanical origin, serious emergency conditions such as deep venous thrombosis and severe arterial insufficiency resulting in a sign known as intermittent claudication must be professionally ruled out. Do not delay in seeing an appropriate doctor.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have a smiler problem a hardening to almost stone of my calf's and then almost a crippling pain mainly in my right calf i am however only 15 and am only 25lbs over weight for my size. i found that rubbing the calf with ice the night before or that morning helps a lot. if nothing else take a light pain killer a Advil or something simile in strength.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem; my gym instructor says it is due to my fairly large calves. The best thing to do is spend a couple of minutes stretching them before you exercise. This prevents them cramping up.

6. mbelisle99

mbelisle99 New Member

I have the same issues, Its embarrassing especially in group exercises everyone thinks I am crazy. I feel like people think I am making the pain up to get out of exercise. My shoes look the same way. Please tell me you have found something to help.