1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

club foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, i'm a medical student and am writing an essay on clubfoot.
    I have met a patient who was born with bilateral clubfoot 75 years ago, who could not precisely remember the treatment.
    Can anyone help with how treatment for clubfoot years ago is different to treatment used today (for example the ponseti method)? Was surgery used more?
    Thanks

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    In my experience, far more adult patients have come to me alleging a history of clubfoot than, based on their remembered or related-to-them description of their deformity and treatment and my in-office examination I am willing to believe actually had the condition. Therefore, other than through medically documented cases, it is difficult to determine precisely what sort of treatment was or was not employed for proven cases. I do not have sufficient personal experience with treatment of the condition to accurately answer your question, but it should not be at all difficult to research the history. I believe that most doctors presently feel that at least the initial treatment should be manipulative, perhaps in line with Dr Ponseti's long-employed methods.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. Marc

Marc Guest

Hi there.
    I was born with a clubfoot in 1961. I had corrective surgery (so I was told) at about 21 days old. I really don't know the procedure they used but I have a long (9 3/4 inch scar on the inside of my foot that curves and goes up towards my calf muscle. I wore a ton of casts up until I was 7 years old or so. I never wore any leg braces or anything like that just casts. I can tell you a funny thing though.. Imagine this, when I finally got the thing off my leg it floated in the air and just stayed there, the nurse kept having to push it back down on the table, it was like that for a few days. If you want to talk email at ibme@copper.net
    Marc