1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Big toe fusion

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by tejas214, Jun 6, 2012.

1. tejas214

tejas214 New Member

I am a 39 yo female with osteoarthritis in my big toes as well as hands.
    Now my questions is regarding my toes. I had a cheilectomy done on both toes last year one in September and the other in November. The pain in both toes has returned about 2 1/2 months ago. Since then I have seen an orthopedic surgeon and he has given me cortisone shots and has helped tremendously. I am due to return to the Dr but, was told that cortisone only speeds up the arthritis and has advised fusion as the next step. My concern is that I am only 39 and used to live a failry active lifestyle (running and dancing). Will I be able to do that after toe fusion? He says he will be able to angle it for me to be able to where somewhat of a heel. Is this true? Also, are there any other alternatives to toe fusion?:eek: