1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

I dont know what to do???

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Escobar600, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Escobar600

Escobar600 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    :confused: I have been told that i have an avulsion fracture in my 5th metatarsal foot bone. This happen 2 weeks ago and now i rushed to get insurance because i have a referral to an orthopedic to lower my expenses so my questions are, will my insurance turn me down because i tecnically got checked already so this will be considered a pre existing condition (I dont know what pre existing conditions are considered)? Also my other question is since now i have to wait for my insurance to kick in (another 2 weeks) that would make it 4 weeks going by with no treatment, is that making my fracture worse? I feel no pain anymore so does that mean my foot just healed crooked? Theres a small bump sticking out on the side of my right foot so obviously the fracture is still there but now that theres no pain really im scared that it has healed crooked if that makes any sense????????????

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Do you honestly think that an insurance company would or should sell you insurance to cover your losses if you apply the day much less 2 weeks after your house burns down or you have an auto accident? If so . . what are you thinking? Can you say, "FRAUD?"

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What treatment were you given when the break was diagnosed? If you can still see your foot, I'm assuming you were not put into a cast? Are you on crutches?

Broken bones generally heal by 4-6 weeks. I don't know if that is a longer healing bone or injury.

4. Escobar600

Escobar600 New Member

Im waiting for my insurance to kick in and then im going to go to the orthopedic surgeon, i was given a referral from a regular doctor who couldnt cast me or perform surgery on me so i have only been xrayed and told that i do have a slight fracture in the side of my right foot. im making a complete different appt. with a totally different orthopedic surgeon that was referred to me which probably won't make a difference insurance wise but i don't think its FRAUD since it just happened and i have not been treated but either way they will either cover me other not cover me...i just wanted to know what is really considered a pre existing condition? i think its bigger than what i have like if i was diagnosed with a cancer and already doing chemotherapy for a few months and decided to switch insurance i would assume thats pre exisiting or like a pre existing heart condition, etc, idk thats why im asking.

5. Smokey

Smokey Guest

Being from Canada, I don't have to deal with insurance carriers for stuff like that, but I do know from buying travel insurance that if you've been seen a doctor for a condition in the 6 months prior to buying the insurace that it won't be covered if you have issues with that within a certain time period after buying the insurance, so assume it would be similar with health insurance coverage in your case.

I would think your insurance company would decline to pay in this case if they're like most insurance companies. They really look hard at claims made within the first couple months or so of the insurance being taken out.

However, it's good that you now have insurance for any other conditions that may crop up in the future!

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

When either you or your doctor submits a claim to an insurance company, it will be necessary to indicate the date of onset of the condition (in this case a fracture). If you admit that a fracture which is currently the source of the need for treatment occurred prior to your obtaining insurance, it will not be covered. If you lie, it's insurance fraud. It doesn't matter how close you were to buying insurance coverage. Pre-existing exclusions such as a history of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc. are generally written into the policy at the time of issuance if they are not to be covered. You cannot wait until you get sick or injured or have an auto accident or jewelry stolen or have your house burn down and THEN get insurance that will cover it.