1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Lisfranc surgery and hardware

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by NJ girl, Feb 2, 2010.

1. NJ girl

NJ girl Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had surgery for a lisfranc injury 18 months ago. I had a fusion and
    2 screws inserted. I'm still getting terrible swelling on the top of my
    foot. My Doctor is now suggesting I have this screw removed.
    Any pros and cons on this? What can I expect for a recovery period?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Lisfranc injuries are not all identical. You do not make it clear as to whether the screws in question were employed to affect a joint fusion or if they were employed to simply block joint motion to facilitate ligament healing at one or more joints. When the screws are employed simply to temporarily block joint motion, they are frequently routinely removed at some time after the surgery to prevent their breaking from intended joint motion. It the screws were employed in order to purposely fuse a joint, they are generally left in place unless it is deemed that they are creating problems. Screw removal is generally a relatively simple procedure, but in some cases, it can be more difficult than planned, which might result in varying amounts of recovery time. The best source of an estimate as to the recovery time, a disclosure of the justification for removal and the pros and cons which might affect your individual case would be the attending surgeon. Have you not asked him/her and if not, why not?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010